Douglas Trumbull to Receive Academy's Gordon E. Sawyer Award
The visual effects pioneer, who worked on "2001: A Space Odyssey" and "The Tree of Life," will be honored at the Scientific and Technical Awards on Feb. 11.
Visual effects master Douglas Trumbull has been chosen to receive the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Science’s Gordon E. Sawyer Award at the Academy’s Scientific and Technical Awards at the Beverly Wilshire Hotel on Feb. 11.
The award, voted by the Academy’s board of governors, is presented to "an individual in the motion picture industry whose technological contributions have brought credit to the industry."
Trumbull has contributed visual effects to such films as 2001: A Space Odyssey, The Andromeda Strain, Silent Running, Close Encounters of the Third Kind, Star Trek – The Motion Picture, Blade Runner and The Tree of Life.
He has created, developed or improved numerous filmmaking techniques and tools, including slit-scan photography, process photography, miniature compositing, interpositive matte painting, large-format filming, high frame rate photography and projection, synchronized multiscale filming, motion control photography, virtual reality systems, interactive motion simulators and digital cinema. In the process, he has earned three Oscar nominations for visual effects and received a Scientific and Engineering Award in 1992 as part of the design team for the CP-65 Showscan Camera System for 65mm motion picture photography.
Hollywood Goes Broadway
What Hollywood Earns
What's Hot In Awards
- Kirk Cameron Urges Christians To Celebrate Halloween By Sharing The Gospel
- Toys R Us Pulls 'Breaking Bad' Dolls From Shelves Following Florida Mom's Petition
- Darling 'Dawson's Creek' Spoof Stars Dachshunds Instead Of Humans
- My Dream Duets: Chatting with Barry Manilow, Andre Cymone and Carroll Matthews Exclusives and The Hawthorne Chronicles
- Lily Aldridge Says Happy 26th Birthday to Her Partner in Crime Candice Swanepoel
- Aaron Paul Looks For the Best Pizza in Vancouver Before Shooting '9th Life of Louis Drax'
- Chrissy Teigen & Jamie Chung Eat Free Doughnuts In Celebration of Apple Pay!
- Kiernan Shipka Is Pretty in Pink at Broadcasting & Cable Hall Of Fame Awards 2014