Emmys 2011: Melissa McCarthy Pulls Off Best Comedy Actress Win (Video)
The "Mike and Molly" actress takes the title in a tight race.
No one saw Mike and Molly actress Melissa McCarthy’s Emmy nomination coming. And apparently as one of the nomination presenters, neither did she. But at Sunday’s 63rd Annual Emmy Awards, she walked away with the statue over actresses that were clear industry favorites for the win above her.
All the nominees were called to the stage in a take on Miss America, which made it both fun and awkward to watch. When McCarthy was named, the women proved why they deserved the nomination: They acted like happy runner-ups.
In her acceptance, McCarthy thanked her colleagues and expressed her surprise at the win for something she enjoyed doing so much. “I come in to work early every day, because I love it so much,” the actress says.
We can understand why the Academy would give her the award. McCarthy really made a show that seemed to start with a touchy subject like weight and made people feel comfortable with her performance enough to laugh with her about it.
The other nominees included 30 Rock’s Tina Fey, The Big C’s Laura Linney, Parks and Recreation’s Amy Poehler, Nurse Jackie’s Edie Falco, Raising Hope’s Martha Plimpton.
Did you agree with McCarthy’s win?
- Exclusive Portraits of Robert Griffin III, Ronda Rousey, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar (Photos)
- MOBA: Inside the Biggest Sporting Event You've Never Heard Of (Photos)
- 'Girls,' Tatiana Maslany and 18 More of the Biggest Emmy Snubs (Photos)
- Emmy Awards 2014: The Nominees (Photos)
- Hollywood's Notable Deaths of 2014 (Photos)
What's Hot In Awards
- Kelly Rowland Buys Belly Bandit For Growing Baby Bump
- Aubrey Plaza Supports Chris Pratt at 'Guardians Of The Galaxy' Hollywood Premiere!
- Jason Derulo Hosts Vegas Pool Party While Recovering From a Broken Rib!
- Emma Stone Really Annoyed Colin Firth By Live-Texting Him Details About His 'Bridget Jones' Performance!