Emmys 2012: On the Set of NBC's 'Smash'
300 background artists. 50 backup dancers. Times Square tourists doubling as extras. Go behind the scenes of NBC's awards contender.
This story first appeared in the June 15 issue of The Hollywood Reporter magazine.
A day the chaotic New York City set of NBC's Smash feels a lot like home for the theater veterans who populate its cast and crew.
"We try to keep our shoots to just 12 hours!" says director Michael Morris of Smash’s "ambitious" schedule (other high-concept TV dramas like Glee typically go more than 16 hours). Adds Tony-winning producer Neil Meron of incorporating into the series -- about young Broadway hopefuls -- an original Marilyn Monroe-themed musical, Bombshell: "It sharpens your need to make sure all elements are in place." More than 15 original songs were written specifically for the first-year drama by the Tony-winning composer-lyricist team of Marc Shaiman and Scott Wittman.
Smash’s theater-trained castmembers, who include Emmy winner Debra Messing, six-time Emmy nominee Anjelica Huston, American Idol alum Katharine McPhee and Broadway star Megan Hilty (Wicked), say the show has offered full-circle moments: "Singing 'September Song' brought me closer to my grandfather, Walter Huston, who first performed it in 1938," says Huston of the song performed by her producer character Eileen Rand.
For Will & Grace alum Messing, there was an added perk: "I felt like I was sitting fifth-row center at a Broadway show every day."
Titans of Comic-Con: Stars Re-Create Classic Characters (Photos)
- Exclusive Portraits of Robert Griffin III, Ronda Rousey, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar (Photos)
- MOBA: Inside the Biggest Sporting Event You've Never Heard Of (Photos)
- Emmy Awards 2014: The Nominees (Photos)
- Hollywood's Notable Deaths of 2014 (Photos)
What's Hot In Awards
- Leonardo DiCaprio Hangs Out Shirtless with Girlfriend Toni Garrn for Relaxing Yacht Afternoon
- Maggie Gyllenhaal Makes Her 'Honorable Woman' Screening a Date Night with Peter Sarsgaard!
- Nicki Minaj's Totally Bare Butt is On Full Display in 'Anaconda' Cover Art!
- Even Leighton Meester Uses Uber to Get Around New York City!