Emmys: 'Girls' ' Lena Dunham Talks Red Carpet Scrutiny and Strategic Award Show Stalking
Moving right past the thrill of her three nominations, the multihyphenate is already thinking about who she wants to hang out with (Kerry Washington) and what she'd ideally like to wear (rabbit ears).
Currently filming the tail end of her HBO series' third season, Girls creator and star Lena Dunham received news of her Emmy nominations, like so many, via a call from her publicist -- but Dunham is used to more awkward morning messages.
"I woke up to the extreme belief that I had done something to get me in a lot of trouble," Dunham told The Hollywood Reporter. "Not that it happens a lot, but I feel like there's always something that I say on Twitter that is then reshaped into something really dark. I actually have the greatest publicist. She's like, 'I'm just living with who you are and the fact that you're going to go out in inappropriate shorts and I'm going to have to hear about it.'"
Walking to set through the "disgusting, repulsive heat" currently plaguing New York City, Dunham notes that most of the "shriek-y, joyful, amazed sensation" she's gotten from the show's five nominations -- including three for herself -- is for co-star Adam Driver.
"It means so much to me," she says of Driver's supporting actor in a comedy nom. "He's a serious man, so you're not going to see him shrieking any time, but watching him work over the last three years now has been one of the greatest gifts I've ever had."
Looking to Sept. 22, Dunham says a year of the awards show circuit under her belt has left her with several important lessons -- most importantly about food and stargazing.
"I get that you're not going to get a delicious filet mignon at the Emmys," she says. "You should probably bring some almonds and drink a tea beforehand. I'll also make a more clear list of people to stalk and harass, so I can hit them up systematically rather than flail around. Last year I did not do so well and ended up following Kerry Washington around for 10 hours without actually talking to her."
Washington and the rest of the Scandal cast, as well as Louis C.K. and everyone from Top of the Lake are a high priority for Dunham this year -- as is finding an outfit that balances her own taste with what others deem appropriate.
"I have a lot of fantasies about what I'm going to wear that don't correspond to reality because the people in my life will stop me from doing it -- like the rabbit ears I'd like to wear to the Emmys," adds Dunham. "I really love fashion, but I have not totally mastered what red carpet fashion means."
- Exclusive Portraits of Robert Griffin III, Ronda Rousey, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar (Photos)
- MOBA: Inside the Biggest Sporting Event You've Never Heard Of (Photos)
- 'Girls,' Tatiana Maslany and 18 More of the Biggest Emmy Snubs (Photos)
- Emmy Awards 2014: The Nominees (Photos)
- Hollywood's Notable Deaths of 2014 (Photos)
What's Hot In Awards
- Cameron Diaz & Benji Madden Enjoy Romantic Seaside Getaway in Italy - See the Pics!
- Obsessed with Beyonce's 'Crazy in Love' From 'Fifty Shades of Grey' Trailer? Boots Explains Reworking the Song with Bey!
- Dwayne 'The Rock' Johnson & Irina Shayk Crush Into Hollywood with 'Hercules' Premiere!
- Game of Thrones' Kit Harington & Rose Leslie Keep Close at LAX