Emmys: 'The Office' Star Ed Helms Moves from Supporting to Lead Actor Category
If Helms wins an Emmy for his role as Dunder Mifflin's newly minted office manager, he’d pull off a feat even Steve Carell couldn’t accomplish during his entire run on the NBC comedy.
Now that Ed Helms has an entire season of filling the manager shoes of departed The Office star Steve Carell under his belt, he’ll occupy the six-time nominated actor’s Emmy ballot slot for consideration by the Television Academy.
Helms is submitting himself for consideration in the category of outstanding lead actor in a comedy, his rep has confirmed. Helms previously submitted as a supporting player for the past six seasons.
This pits the Hangover star against such formidable leading funnymen as 30 Rock’s two-time winner Alec Baldwin; Jim Parsons from The Big Bang Theory, who won consecutive lead actor trophies in 2010 and 2011; and last year’s first-time surprise nominees Louis C.K. of Louie and Johnny Galecki of Big Bang.
If Helms wins an Emmy for his role as Dunder Mifflin’s newly minted office manager Andy Bernard, he’d pull off a feat even Carell couldn’t accomplish during his entire run on the NBC comedy.
VIDEO: Ed Helms Admits He Didn’t Like His Character in 'Jeff, Who Lives at Home' at First
Helms has never been nominated for an Emmy. But the good news is now he won't be up against any of the Modern Family actors, including previous Emmy winners Ty Burrell and Eric Stonestreet. The entire cast of the juggernaut Emmy-winning ABC comedy submits themselves in the supporting actor category.
Sundance: On the Scene
What's Hot In Awards
- Rod McKuen, Oscar-Nominated Songwriter And Bestselling Poet, Dead At 81
- Marshawn Lynch Playing Rob Gronkowski In 'Mortal Kombat' Puts The Super Bowl To Shame
- The Soundtrack Of My Life: Chatting with Donny Osmond, Melissa Manchester, Louise Goffin, Meitel and Rumer
- Saying Goodbye To 'Parenthood' Is The Biggest Tear-Jerker Of All
- Kim & Khloe Kardashian Sing Their Hearts Out at Sam Smith Concert with Kendall Jenner & Cara Delevingne
- Iggy Azalea Calls Steve Madden Photo Shoot 'Disgusting'
- Harry Connick Jr. Hilariously Belts Out Sia's 'Chandelier' on 'American Idol' - Watch Now!
- Kristin Chenoweth Steps Out for 'On The Twentieth Century' Photo Call with Peter Gallagher