Glenn Close to Receive Palm Springs Film Festival's Career Achievement Award
The actress, who next stars in "Albert Nobbs," will be feted at the Jan. 7 awards gala.
Glenn Close has been chosen to receive the 23rd annual Palm Springs International Film Festival’s Career Achievement Award.
Close is the first honoree to be named as the festival begins to announce the talent that will be recognized at its annual awards gala, which will be held at the Palm Springs Convention Center on Jan. 7. A five-time Oscar nominee, Close will next be seen in Albert Nobbs, which Roadside Attractions releases Dec. 21.
“Glenn Close has the gift of mesmerizing an audience whenever she performs,” festival chairman Harold Matzner said. “Since her film debut in 1982, Close’s ability to capture the essence of a character is unparalleled, be it a femme fatale, a notorious stalker or the trusted aide to a president. In Albert Nobbs, her upcoming film, Close portrays a woman whose plan for survival in 19th century Ireland is to 'pass' as a man, only to find herself trapped by the reality she’s created. Here she revives a previous stage role and brings it to gritty life in yet another bravura performance.”
Past recipients of the Career Achievement Award include Cate Blanchett, Robert Duvall, Clint Eastwood, Morgan Freeman, Samuel L. Jackson and Helen Mirren.
The festival runs from Jan. 5-16.
HOLLYWOOD'S RED CARPET A-LIST
What's Hot In Awards
- Movie Review: A Walk Among the Tombstones
- Abel Ferrara's "Pasolini" Premieres at the Deauville American Film Festival: A Heated Discussion with the Director
- Inspiration Through Film - A Festival
- The Boomtown Rats Return: A Conversation with Bob Geldof, Plus a Chat with Finch's Nate Barcalow and Lots of Exclusives
- Liam Neeson's First Movie Footage is a Must See - Watch Now!
- 'Orange is the New Black's Laverne Cox Will Spotlight Trans Youth In 'The T Word' Documentary!
- Julianne Moore & Husband Bart Freundlich Look as Happy as Ever After Nearly 20 Years Together!
- Victoria Beckham Voted Greatest Style Icon in the UK!