Golden Globes 2012: 'Modern Family' Stars Criticize Anti-Gay Protesters, Defend Show
"America is a great place, speech is free and you're able to expose the fact that you're an idiot," said Eric Stonestreet after the ABC show received the award for best comedy.
The cast of ABC's Modern Family has a message to the anti-gay protesters who set up shop across the street from the site of Sunday's 69th annual Golden Globes: "You're an idiot."
"America is a great place, speech is free and you're able to expose the fact that you're an idiot," said Eric Stonestreet, who plays Cameron, the longtime partner to Jesse Tyler Ferguson's Mitchell.
Speaking to reporters backstage after picking up its first Globe for best comedy, cast members Ferguson and Julie Bowen noted the positive feedback about the show's gay couple they've received from all corners of the world.
"I come from a long line of straight, white Republicans who don't like people like this," she said, motioning to the openly gay Ferguson. "But even they like this show. In country clubs all across America, the doors are cracking open."
Ferguson, meanwhile, said he's received feedback from families thanking him for the positive portrayal. "We don't try to be too heavy-handed with it but I think it's opening up people's minds and hearts," he said. "It's a good thing."
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR