'The Hollywood Reporters,' Ep. 6: Dissecting the Costume Design Oscar Nominees (Video)
THR's awards analyst Scott Feinberg and contributing style editor Elizabeth Snead discuss the contenders, snubs, biases and more.
The Hollywood Reporter has released the sixth installment of its weekly web series The Hollywood Reporters. In each episode, THR awards analyst Scott Feinberg, the series' host, chats with colleagues from THR's newsroom about different aspects of the awards race.
This week, Feinberg was joined by contributing style editor Elizabeth Snead (who writes THR's FashTrack blog) to discuss the best costume design Oscar nominees announced earlier this month: Anna Karenina (Jacqueline Durran, whose two previous nominations were for Joe Wright and Keira Knightley's two previous collaborations); Les Miserables (Paco Delgado, working on his first English-language film); Lincoln (Joanna Johnston, the one principal member of Steven Spielberg's stock company who had never previously been nominated); Mirror, Mirror (Eiko Ishioka, who died of pancreatic cancer in Jan. 2012); and Snow White and the Huntsman (Colleen Atwood, who now has 10 noms -- and three wins -- in the last 18 years).
Feinberg and Snead also talk about some of the worthy contenders that were not nominated in the category, such as Argo, The Avengers, Cloud Atlas, The Dark Knight Rises, Django Unchained, The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey, The Hunger Games, Life of Pi, Moonrise Kingdom and A Royal Affair -- as well as the complete shutout of contemporary costumes in favor of period and fantasy costumes.
The Costume Designers Guild makes a point of picking five nominees of each sort for its CDG Awards, and recently deemed three of this year's best picture Oscar nominees -- Beasts of the Southern Wild, Silver Linings Playbook and Zero Dark Thirty -- worthy of a CDG Award nom in its contemporary category. But, as has become increasingly common, the Academy failed to second any of their choices from that category, perhaps, Snead speculates, because they and we have become so desensitized to modern fashion as a result of seeing it on so many red carpets!
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
What's Hot In Awards
- Pee-wee Herman's Bike From 'Pee-wee's Big Adventure' Sells For $36,600 On eBay
- HUVr Hoverboard Is Not Shipping In December (Or Ever, For That Matter)
- Stratosphere: A Conversation with Matt Sorum and Album Preview
- 'Grey's Anatomy' 'You Got to Hide Your Love Away' Recap: Yang and Owen Back in the Sack