'Our Idiot Brother,' 'The Perfect Family' Share More Than Deschanels
A look at some strange similarities between two 2011 indie comedies.
What do Anne Renton’s The Perfect Family (which premiered at April’s Tribeca Film Festival and is still seeking a domestic distributor) and Jesse Peretz’s Our Idiot Brother (which premiered at January's Sundance Film Festival and was recently released in theaters by The Weinstein Company) have in common, aside from being fairly funny comedies about “unconventional” families that were screened for the first time this year? Actually, a lot...
They each feature: (a) one of the heterosexual Deschanel sisters -- Emily Deschanel and Zooey Deschanel, respectively -- playing (b) a lesbian who is (c) the daughter of a less-than-thrilled mother -- Kathleen Turner and Shirley Knight, respectively -- (d) and is in a committed relationship with a non-white partner -- Angelique Cabral and Rashida Jones, respectively -- (e) when she becomes pregnant with a child that at least one of the partners, for a time, isn’t sure she wants, before ultimately coming around and embracing it.
I'm not meaning to imply wrongdoing on the part of any of the involved parties, but you've gotta admit that those are quite a lot of similarities!
Sundance: On the Scene
What's Hot In Awards
- 13 New Photos From Game of Thrones Season 5
- An Open Letter to the Jerk at This Week’s Savages Show
- Casey Affleck and Matthias Schoenaerts to Explore the Beauty and Majesty of the American Wilderness for HBO’s Lewis and Clark
- Game of Thrones Season 5’s First Trailer Promises a Lot of Changes From the Book
- Elizabeth Olsen Supports Fight Against AIDS with Dita Von Teese & Conchita Wurst at Sidaction Gala Dinner 2015
- Zachary Quinto Supports Taylor Schilling & Peter Dinklage at 'A Month In the Country' Opening Night Party!
- Shirtless Eddie Redmayne Shows Off Impressive Six-Pack Abs in Sexy 'Jupiter Ascending' Still
- Amy Poehler Gets Epic Homecoming As Hasty Pudding's Woman of the Year 2015!