'Inside Llewyn Davis' Cabaret in Santa Monica Draws A-Listers and Oscar Voters
Barbra Streisand, Norman Lear and Ted Danson were in the audience as Oscar Isaac, The Punch Brothers and Steve Martin, among others, performed onstage.
On Wednesday night, six weeks after organizing one of the most acclaimed folk music concerts in New York history to help promote the Dec. 6 release of Ethan and Joel Coen's Inside Llewyn Davis (and its accompanying soundtrack on Nov. 11), the Coen brothers, their longtime executive music producer T Bone Burnett and producer Scott Rudin, CBS president Leslie Moonves and CBS Films co-presidents Terry Press and Wolfgang Hammer took their show on the road to California.
The event -- which was officially titled "A Special Musical Evening Honoring T Bone Burnett and Joel and Ethan Coen" and took place at The Buffalo Club, an intimate venue in Santa Monica -- was literally packed with notables. Among those in the room were Barbra Streisand and James Brolin, Norman Lear, Mary Steenburgen and Ted Danson, Marc Forster, Jennifer Jason Leigh, Ed Helms, Patricia Arquette, Nastassja Kinski, Steve Levitan, Stephen Gaghan, Josh Gad, Mary Kay Place, Marisa Tomei, John Goodman and Steve Martin -- many of whom also have Oscar votes.
A considerable number of the night's performers had previously participated in the New York concert, including The Punch Brothers, Willie Watson, Rhiannon Giddens of the Carolina Chocolate Drops and the actor who gives a breakthrough performance as Llewyn Davis' singer-songwriter title character, Oscar Isaac, who sang several of the same songs that he performs in the film. Others had not, including Sara Watkins, Sean Watkins and, for one song, a banjo-strumming Martin, who will receive an honorary Oscar at the Academy's Governors Awards on Saturday night. (He earned laughs by stepping up to the mic and saying, "Thank you, I'm so honored to be receiving this awards tonight.")
At the end of the roughly three-hour gathering, which featured a brief intermission at its midpoint, complimentary copies of the Llewyn Davis soundtrack were handed out to departing guests.
- Scarlett Johansson, Lupita Nyong'o in Talks for Disney's 'Jungle Book' (Exclusive)
- Bryan Singer Accuser Names Three Hollywood Insiders in New Sex Abuse Lawsuits (Video)
- The Scene and Stars at the Tribeca Film Festival (Photos)
- Summer Movie Preview: Will Godzilla or Spider-Man (Or Angelina Jolie?) Dominate Your Cineplex?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
What's Hot In Awards
- Mad Men's Kiernan Shipka Discusses Show's 'Bittersweet' Ending with 'Scene' (Exclusive!)
- Jennifer Aniston & Anna Kendrick Get Emotional Lying Down on Train Tracks for 'Cake'
- Courteney Cox & Kate Walsh Party with 'Vanity Fair' at Tribeca!
- Lily Allen Praises Pop Divas in 'Sheezus' Music Video - Watch Now!