Meryl Streep Movie 'The Iron Lady' to Open Dec. 30
The Weinstein Co. release about British Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher will arrive just before the Oscar-qualifying deadline.
The Weinstein Co. has set a release date for its awards hopeful The Iron Lady, starring Meryl Streep, and the movie will just be slipping in under the Oscar-qualifying wire.
The biopic about British Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher -- directed by Phyllida Lloyd, who also put Streep through her paces in Mamma Mia! -- had been penciled in for release Dec. 16. But the Weinstein Co. announced in a tweet Sunday night that it will now open Dec. 30. The film will bow in exclusive runs in New York and Los Angeles on that date and then expand wider Jan. 13.
The keeps the film in Oscar contention since under Academy rules, a movie has until midnight Dec. 31 to begin its one-week qualifying run in Los Angeles County.
Titans of Comic-Con: Stars Re-Create Classic Characters (Photos)
- Exclusive Portraits of Robert Griffin III, Ronda Rousey, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar (Photos)
- MOBA: Inside the Biggest Sporting Event You've Never Heard Of (Photos)
- Emmy Awards 2014: The Nominees (Photos)
- Hollywood's Notable Deaths of 2014 (Photos)
What's Hot In Awards
- Chloe Moretz Talks Boys & Fashion for 'Flare' September 2014
- The New 'Maze Runner' Trailer Is Out & It's Every Bit As Awesome As You Thought It Would Be
- It's Another Royal Photo Bomb! Prince Harry is Totally Psyched in the Background of a Selfie
- Once Upon a Time's JoAnna Garcia Joins Hubby Nick Swisher at 'Mission Swisher' Scavenger Hunt! (Exclusive Pics)