Jared Leto and 'Dallas Buyers Club' Co-stars on His Transgender Character, Rayon (Exclusive Video)
The best supporting actor Oscar frontrunner shares what drew him to the character, why he admires her and what he went through to bring her to life.
The Hollywood Reporter is pleased to exclusively premiere "Making Rayon Real," a featurette about best supporting actor hopeful Jared Leto's critically hailed portrayal of a male-to-female transgender character who is addicted to drugs and dying of AIDS in Jean-Marc Vallee's Dallas Buyers Club, courtesy of the film's distributor, Focus Features.
In the video, Leto -- who has already scored best supporting actor Independent Spirit, Critics' Choice, Golden Globe and Screen Actors Guild award nominations and won the New York and Los Angeles film critics' corresponding prize -- discusses what drew him to playing the character, what she taught him about himself, how he has come to admire her and what he went through to bring her to life. Among other things, he shed 40 pounds, waxed his body, altered his voice pitch and spoke with a dialect.
The video also features Leto's costars Matthew McConaughey and Jennifer Garner describing their experience of working on the film with the actor -- whom, they say, they only ever met as Rayon, and who remained in character throughout the indie's shoot.
- 'Lindsay' Recap: Lohan Attempts Career Comeback With Self-Proclaimed 'New Chapter'
- 'How I Met Your Mother': Cristin Milioti Debunks Morbid Finale Theory (Video)'
- The Hollywood Reporter's Top 25 Stylist, Revealed
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR