Oscars: 7 Ways to Counter 'Argo's' Surge (Analysis)
With Academy ballots due Feb. 19, "Zero Dark Thirty" and "Lincoln" look to change the best picture conversation as Ben Affleck's Hollywood-flavored thriller, fresh off wins at the Globes, PGA and SAG, looks like a juggernaut.
This story first appeared in the Feb. 8 issue of The Hollywood Reporter magazine.
Argo had a triumphant weekend. The film earned Ben Affleck, George Clooney and Grant Heslov top honors from the Producers Guild on Jan. 26. Then it scored the best film ensemble trophy at the Screen Actors Guild Awards a day later. Coming on the heels of its best drama victory at the Golden Globes, the wins make Argo the overwhelming favorite for the best picture Oscar. But don't give up hope, all you others. There are still ways to snatch victory from defeat, and here's how:
- Exclusive Portraits of Robert Griffin III, Ronda Rousey, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar (Photos)
- MOBA: Inside the Biggest Sporting Event You've Never Heard Of (Photos)
- 'Girls,' Tatiana Maslany and 18 More of the Biggest Emmy Snubs (Photos)
- Emmy Awards 2014: The Nominees (Photos)
- Hollywood's Notable Deaths of 2014 (Photos)