11:34am PT by Scott Feinberg
Signs of the Apocalypse From the 2011-12 Awards Season
Some food for thought about the 2011-12 awards season to go along with your Thanksgiving leftovers ...
- A best actress Oscar nomination might well be rewarded to ... an Olsen sister.
- An Oscar nomination might be awarded to Steve McQueen for the first time since 1966 ... only now he's British and black.
- Woody Allen wrote and directed a movie that has made over $133 million worldwide ... yes, in this century.
- Francis Ford Coppola, Werner Herzog, Martin Scorsese, Steven Spielberg, and Wim Wenders -- all of whom are in their sixties or seventies -- directed 3D films, while Michel Hazanavicius, a 44-year-old Frenchman, wrote and directed a black-and-white silent film.
- Glenn Close may finally win an Oscar for dressing up as a man, and Leonardo DiCaprio may finally win an Oscar for dressing up as a woman.
- Albert Brooks may score his first Oscar nom in 24 years... for playing a Jewish mobster ... in a drama.
- Jonah Hill may score an Oscar nod ... period.
- Carey Mulligan gets nude in a movie ... while Kate Winslet does not.
- Clint Eastwood, the 81-year-old who is best known for his work on-screen as a gun-toting tough guy and off-screen as a conservative mayor of Carmel, California, just directed his latest film using a script by -- and working in close collaboration with -- Dustin Lance Black, a 37-year-old gay screenwriter.
- Angelina Jolie has directed a movie, while Werner Herzog is now acting in one.
- The famously reclusive Terrence Malick has not only been seen in public, but has even had off-the-record conversations with journalists.
- Woody Harrelson, one of the most notorious potheads and anti-authority figures of his time, may score his first best actor Oscar nod in 15 years ... for playing a cop.
- Michelle Yeoh, who is Asia's most famous female action star and a former Bond girl, may score her first Oscar nod for playing Aung San Suu Kyi, Asia's most famously demure and soft-spoken leader.
- Documentary filmmaker Steve James was screwed by the Academy's documentary branch ... again.
- The Academy, which is supposedly so liberal, has fallen head-over-heels for a film about Margaret Thatcher, but not for a film about George Harrison.
- A Harry Potter film has a shot -- a long shot, but a shot -- at scoring a best picture Oscar nod.
- Jessica Chastain has given a half-dozen memorable supporting performances this year -- any one of which is arguably Oscar-worthy -- but consequently may wind up without a nomination for even one of them.
- The Academy is allowing studios to ply journalists with food, alcohol, and parties before nominations are announced ... but has essentially banned them from breathing during phase two.
- Ricky Gervais insulted the famously sensitive HFPA to their faces on national television less than a year ago ... and was asked to host the Golden Globes again.
- Billy Crystal, who virtually nobody under the age of 25 has even heard of (he himself basically acknowledged as much), was asked to host the Oscars again.
Am I forgetting others? Feel free to add to the list in the comments section below!