Oscars to Feature James Bond 50th Anniversary Tribute
The Academy announced on Friday that the February show will feature a tribute to the British spy series, the longest-running franchise in film.
Hollywood better start shaking the martinis.
The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences announced on Friday that the 85th Oscars will feature a televised tribute to the 007 franchise, which is celebrating its 50th anniversary.
"We are very happy to include a special sequence on our show saluting the Bond films on their 50th birthday," said producers Craig Zadan and Neil Meron. "Starting with Dr. No back in 1962, the 007 movies have become the longest-running motion picture franchise in history and a beloved global phenomenon."
The franchise, which currently features Daniel Craig as the cocky, immensely talented spy, was revived with 2006's Casino Royale and hit a high note with this year's Skyfall. A gritty take on the MI6 legend, the Sam Mendes-directed film recently hit over $1 billion at the box office worldwide, and earned a Producers' Guild Award nomination that could push it toward an Oscar bid.
The series' 23 films have featured several men in the role of Bond, starting with Sean Connery and moving on to George Lazenby, Roger Moore, Timothy Dalton, Pierce Brosnan and now Craig, who has starred in three 007 films thus far.
2014 Emmy Awards
What's Hot In Awards
- Jon Stewart Loves How Epic HuffPost Headlines Win The Internet
- Jesse Helt, Miley Cyrus' Date At The VMAs, Turns Himself In For Probation Violation
- Solo Concerts, Stealin' Home & Similar Skin: Chats with Bruce Hornsby, Iain Matthews and Umphrey's McGee...Plus!
- Jake 'The Snake' Roberts, Iconic Pro Wrestler, Hospitalized After Collapse
- Julianne Hough Snaps Selfies With Former DWTS Partner Helio Castroneves
- Rose McGowan Pours Pink Paint Over Charli XCX in 'Break The Rules' Music Video - Watch Here!
- Fergie Is Going to Miss the Bar at 'Chelsea Lately'
- Simon Cowell & Girlfriend Lauren Silverman Show Some Affection at 'X Factor UK' Press Launch!