Oscars Narrow Visual Effects Category to 10 Choices
"Harry Potter," "Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol " and "The Tree of Life" are among the films still in the running for the VFX Oscar.
The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences released the list of 10 films still in the running for nominations in the visual effects category at the upcoming Academy Awards.
Among the selections are the top three highest grossing films of 2011 -- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2, Transformers: Dark of the Moon, Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides -- all of which topped $1 billion at the global box office. The new year's biggest attraction thus far, Mission: Impossible – Ghost Protocol, is also included.
The complete list is as follows:
Captain America: The First Avenger
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2
Mission: Impossible – Ghost Protocol
Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides
Rise of the Planet of the Apes
Transformers: Dark of the Moon
The Tree of Life
X-Men: First Class
Members of the visual effects group can screen 10-minute excerpts of the shortlisted film on Thursday, Jan. 19, after which point they will vote to nominate five selections for Oscar night consideration.
Nominations for the 84th annual Academy Awards will be announced Tuesday, Jan. 24.
What Hollywood Earns
What's Hot In Awards
- 7 Things You Didn't Know About 'Girls,' As Told By Jenni Konner
- Downloading Music Is Quickly Going Out Of Fashion
- Citizenfour Review: Quiet Moments in a Hong Kong Hotel Room as Edward Snowden, Journalists Fight to Save Democracy
- Polyenso's '17 New Years' Just Created Your New Favorite Genre Of Music
- Ryan Gosling Spotted for First Time Since His Baby's Birth!
- Hilary Swank, Ashlee Simpson & Evan Ross Have A Special Evening at Photographer Brian Bowen Smith's Wildlife Show
- Jennifer Lawrence's Umbrella Protects Her from the Sun!
- Evan Rachel Wood Snuggles Up with Katherine Moennig in First Pictures Together!