Oscars Narrow Visual Effects Category to 10 Choices
"Harry Potter," "Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol " and "The Tree of Life" are among the films still in the running for the VFX Oscar.
The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences released the list of 10 films still in the running for nominations in the visual effects category at the upcoming Academy Awards.
Among the selections are the top three highest grossing films of 2011 -- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2, Transformers: Dark of the Moon, Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides -- all of which topped $1 billion at the global box office. The new year's biggest attraction thus far, Mission: Impossible – Ghost Protocol, is also included.
The complete list is as follows:
Captain America: The First Avenger
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2
Mission: Impossible – Ghost Protocol
Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides
Rise of the Planet of the Apes
Transformers: Dark of the Moon
The Tree of Life
X-Men: First Class
Members of the visual effects group can screen 10-minute excerpts of the shortlisted film on Thursday, Jan. 19, after which point they will vote to nominate five selections for Oscar night consideration.
Nominations for the 84th annual Academy Awards will be announced Tuesday, Jan. 24.
- 'Lindsay' Recap: Lohan Attempts Career Comeback With Self-Proclaimed 'New Chapter'
- 'How I Met Your Mother': Cristin Milioti Debunks Morbid Finale Theory (Video)'
- Josh Duhamel to Co-Star in Vince Gilligan's 'Battle Creek'
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
What's Hot In Awards
- Experience The Controlled Chaos Behind Cuba Gooding Jr.'s 1997 Oscars Acceptance Speech
- John Gallagher Jr. On The Upcoming Final Season Of 'The Newsroom'
- Comcast To Charge Insane Amount For A Single Season Of 'House Of Cards'