Palm Springs Film Fest: Julia Roberts to Get Spotlight Award for 'August: Osage County'
The 46-year-old best supporting actress Oscar hopeful joins a lineup of honorees that also includes Matthew McConaughey, Sandra Bullock and Bruce Dern.
Julia Roberts will receive the Spotlight Award at the Palm Springs International Film Festival, it was announced Thursday.
The 46-year-old, who plays a key supporting role in The Weinstein Co.'s big Oscar hopeful August: Osage County, will be honored on Jan. 4 at the Palm Springs Convention Center as part of the festival's 25th edition, which runs from Jan. 3-13.
“Julia Roberts is a consummate actress with a range as vast as her talent,” PSIFF chairman Harold Matzner said in a statement. “Her ability to consistently give standout performances over the past 25 years is remarkable."
Past recipients of the award include Jessica Chastain, Amy Adams and Helen Hunt.
The fest previously announced that it will honor 12 Years a Slave helmer Steve McQueen with its Director of the Year Award; Dallas Buyers Club's Matthew McConaughey with its Desert Palm Award, Actor; Gravity's Sandra Bullock with its Desert Palm Award, Actress; and Nebraska's Bruce Dern with its Career Achievement Award. Additional announcements are expected shortly.
Roberts has been a star for a quarter-century already. Since her big screen breakthrough in Donald Petrie's Mystic Pizza (1988), she has headlined Herbert Ross' Steel Magnolias (1989), Garry Marshall's Pretty Woman (1990), Steven Spielberg's Hook (1991), Alan J. Pakula's The Pelican Brief (1993), Neil Jordan's Michael Collins (1996), P.J. Hogan's My Best Friend's Wedding (1997), Roger Michell's Notting Hill (1999), Marshall's Runaway Bride (1999), Steven Soderbergh's Erin Brockovich (2000), Ocean's Eleven (2001) and Ocean's Twelve (2004), Mike Nichols' Closer (2004) and Charlie Wilson's War (2007), Tony's Gilroy's Duplicity (2009), Marshall's Valentine's Day (2010) and Ryan Murphy's Eat Pray Love (2010). She won the best actress Oscar for Brokovich and was nominated for an Oscar on two other occasions: best supporting actress for Steel Magnolias (1989) and best actress for Pretty Woman (1990).
Fall TV Preview
What's Hot In Awards
- McKayla Maroney Was Reportedly Underage In Hacked Nude Photos
- Richard Lewis Talks Richard Lewis: Bundle of Nerves: Mighty Movie Podcast
- Justin Verlander Addresses Online Photo Hacking Of Him And Girlfriend Kate Upton
- Internet Tries Donating In 'Honor' Of Leaked Jennifer Lawrence Photos, Nonprofit's Not Having It
- Lindsay Lohan Dazzles Us With Her Legs at GQ Men of the Year Awards 2014
- Nicole Scherzinger Leaves Ibiza After Displaying Her Fabulous Figure in a Teeny Bikini
- Kim Kardashian & Kanye West Shine Bright at GQ Men of the Year Awards 2014
- Rita Ora & Cara Delevingne Flaunt Their Long Legs at GQ Men of the Year Awards 2014