Rita Moreno to Receive 2013 SAG Life Achievement Award
The actress will be honored during the guild's award ceremony in January.
Rita Moreno will receive SAG-AFTRA's Life Achievement Award at the 2014 SAG Awards, the guild announced today.
Moreno, 81, will be the 50th recipient of the award designed to recognize career achievement and humanitarian accomplishment.
The honor is given annually to an actor who fosters the "finest ideals of the acting profession."
Ken Howard, SAG-AFTRA co-president, said of Moreno in a statement: "She is an extraordinarily versatile, talented and generous actor whose career is notable for its courageous choices and for the breadth, depth and quality of her many demanding and commanding roles. She is a magnificent actor, and I am honored to join all SAG-AFTRA members in recognizing the incomparable Rita Moreno."
Roberta Reardon, SAG-AFTRA co-president, added: "No one is more deserving of this honor than the fabulous and accomplished Rita Moreno, an iconic talent whose excellent work includes hit movies, highly rated television series, landmark public television programs and award-winning recordings. She is emblematic of the broad reach and diverse coverage of our new, merged union. She is an inspiration in every effort, but never more so than with her civil rights activism, promoting equality and diversity while ushering in a more representative depiction of the American scene on screen."
The Puerto Rico-born Moreno won a best supporting actress Oscar for her role as Anita in 1961's West Side Story. She's also won two Emmys, a Tony, a Grammy, the Presidential Medal of Freedom and the National Medal of the Arts. She received a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame in 1995.
She's one of just 11 artists and the only Hispanic performer to get the coveted E.G.O.T. combination of an Emmy, Oscar, Grammy and Tony.
She also starred in the long-running PBS children's series The Electric Company.
More recently, she's had roles in the TV series Oz and TV Land's Happily Divorced in which she plays the mother of Fran Drescher's character.
The 20th annual SAG Awards will be broadcast live on TNT and TBS on Jan. 18.
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
What's Hot In Awards
- 10 Reimagined Disney Posters Bring Your Favorite Childhood Characters Back To Life
- DOCUMENTARY: How One Email Changed One Guy's Life... Forever
- Miley Cyrus Shows Off Her Sex Toy On Twitter, Should Seriously Be Taught What TMI Means
- Here's Everything Wrong With 'Indiana Jones And The Kingdom Of The Crystal Skull'
- Diane Kruger Ties Up Her Shirt to Reveal Her Flat Stomach
- Joseph Gordon-Levitt Reenacts YouTube Viral Sensation 'David at the Dentist' - Watch Now!
- Michelle Obama Hosts Women in Soul Event, President Barack Obama Flubs Spelling of Aretha Franklin's 'Respect'
- Find Out How Oprah Winfrey Got Fooled By Princess Diana!