Behind the Scenes of Weinstein Co.'s Iron Lady Starring Meryl Streep (Exclusive Video)
The actress and her director Phyllida Lloyd discuss one of the most pivotal scenes in the film, opening Jan. 13.
Just because Phyllida Lloyd had real, historical events to base her retelling of one of former United Kingdom Prime Minister, Margaret Thatcher's infamous speeches off of, doesn't mean it was easy to do.
“It’s a conjuring trick,” explains Lloyd of trying to recreate the famous St. Francis of Assisi speech Thatcher gave the first time she arrived at 10 Downing Street as Prime Minister. “You actually have very few extras. You’re not in the right part of London. The weather is terrible, and it’s all about faith."
But, having the real video of the event did help in another area, according to star, Meryl Streep.
“It’s wonderful the way they’ve blended archival footage with what we’re doing, to create that thrum of the moment,” Meryl Streep says of the movie’s big scene, which takes place outside the Prime Minister's 10 Downing Street residence.
As for her use of a religious quote, Streep has nothing but respect. “Margaret Thatcher really did break ground, in that, she showed a way that a woman could be a leader,” she says.
The film opens Jan. 13.
- Exclusive Portraits of Robert Griffin III, Ronda Rousey, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar (Photos)
- MOBA: Inside the Biggest Sporting Event You've Never Heard Of (Photos)
- 'Girls,' Tatiana Maslany and 18 More of the Biggest Emmy Snubs (Photos)
- Emmy Awards 2014: The Nominees (Photos)
- Hollywood's Notable Deaths of 2014 (Photos)
What's Hot In Awards
- Gerard Butler Shows Off Chest Hair Touching Down at LAX!
- 'Fifty Shades of Grey' Trailer Starring Shirtless Jamie Dornan & Dakota Johnson is Here & It's Super Steamy - Watch Now!
- Jennifer Morrison Arrives On Set for 'Once Upon a Time' & It's Getting Us Pumped for Season Four!
- Karlie Kloss Reveals the Secret to Her Amazing Abs