New Fox Searchlight Featurette Trumpets 'Sessions' Star John Hawkes (Video)
Hawkes, the veteran character actor and best supporting actor Oscar nominee for "Winter's Bone," is among this year's top contenders for best actor.
The Hollywood Reporter is pleased to exclusively debut Fox Searchlight's four-minute featurette promoting the performance of best actor Oscar hopeful John Hawkes in its best picture Oscar hopeful The Sessions.
In the short clip, Hawkes, his co-stars (best supporting actor Oscar hopeful William H. Macy and best supporting actress Oscar hopeful Helen Hunt) and writer-director (best director and best adapted screenplay Oscar hopeful Ben Lewin) discuss the veteran character actor's portrayal of Mark O'Brien, a man in an iron lung because of childhood polio who desires to lose his virginity with the help of a professional "sex surrogate" and the blessing of his priest.
The logistics and impact of how Hawkes curved his back, learned to perform basic tasks with a mouthpiece and changed his voice for the part also are discussed.
Hunt notes how much humor Hawkes managed to bring to a character who could have been played very differently, and Macy calls him "a very wonderful and, more importantly, skilled actor," adding that, "Even though he could only move his head, he acted me off the screen."
- 'Lindsay' Recap: Lohan Attempts Career Comeback With Self-Proclaimed 'New Chapter'
- 'How I Met Your Mother': Cristin Milioti Debunks Morbid Finale Theory (Video)'
- Josh Duhamel to Co-Star in Vince Gilligan's 'Battle Creek'
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR