Stan Lee: 'My Cameo in 'Spider-Man' is Going to Bring in the Audience'
The comic book icon receives the VES Lifetime Achievement Award and jokes with "Spider-Man" director Marc Webb.
Accepting the Visual Effects Society Lifetime Achievement Award, Stan Lee joked that "there won't be a dry eye in the place" as he concluded that "to show my gratitude, I'm now creating a whole new slate of superheroes at POW! Entertainment to make sure that you never run out of projects that you can enhance."
On Tuesday at the Beverly Hilton, the co-creator of such characters as Spider-Man, The Incredible Hulk, X-Men and the Fantastic Four told the VFX community that they "never disappoint the fans."
"I for one am totally in your debt because the kind of stories I seem to specialize in would never have the cinema success they have if not for you," he told the crowd. "Imagine trying to show Spider-Man fantastically swinging from skyscraper to skyscraper without your incredible technical and creative know-how."
Ceremony presenters included Lou Ferrigno, who played the Hulk in the late ‘70s/early ‘80s TV series The Incredible Hulk, and Marc Webb, director of upcoming The Amazing Spider-Man.
Webb introduced the comics kingpin, who praised him as "brilliant."
"He probably accepted this task out of gratitude, because he knows my cameo in Spider-Man is going to bring in the audience," Lee joked.
Titans of Comic-Con: Stars Re-Create Classic Characters (Photos)
- Exclusive Portraits of Robert Griffin III, Ronda Rousey, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar (Photos)
- MOBA: Inside the Biggest Sporting Event You've Never Heard Of (Photos)
- Emmy Awards 2014: The Nominees (Photos)
- Hollywood's Notable Deaths of 2014 (Photos)
What's Hot In Awards
- Neil LaBute Q&A: The Controversial Playwright Talks About His L.A. Theater Takeover
- Top Off-Broadway Shows to Watch in NYC This Season: Part One
- Megan Fox Is Not Thrilled About The 'Girl Power' That Was Cut From 'TMNT'
- Keith Olbermann's Powerful Speech About Lack Of Respect For Women In Sports Is A Must Watch