Stan Lee: 'My Cameo in 'Spider-Man' is Going to Bring in the Audience'
The comic book icon receives the VES Lifetime Achievement Award and jokes with "Spider-Man" director Marc Webb.
Accepting the Visual Effects Society Lifetime Achievement Award, Stan Lee joked that "there won't be a dry eye in the place" as he concluded that "to show my gratitude, I'm now creating a whole new slate of superheroes at POW! Entertainment to make sure that you never run out of projects that you can enhance."
On Tuesday at the Beverly Hilton, the co-creator of such characters as Spider-Man, The Incredible Hulk, X-Men and the Fantastic Four told the VFX community that they "never disappoint the fans."
"I for one am totally in your debt because the kind of stories I seem to specialize in would never have the cinema success they have if not for you," he told the crowd. "Imagine trying to show Spider-Man fantastically swinging from skyscraper to skyscraper without your incredible technical and creative know-how."
Ceremony presenters included Lou Ferrigno, who played the Hulk in the late ‘70s/early ‘80s TV series The Incredible Hulk, and Marc Webb, director of upcoming The Amazing Spider-Man.
Webb introduced the comics kingpin, who praised him as "brilliant."
"He probably accepted this task out of gratitude, because he knows my cameo in Spider-Man is going to bring in the audience," Lee joked.
Health & Hollywood
THR @ TORONTO
What's Hot In Awards
- David Lynch Thinks No One Will Ever Agree on What Eraserhead Is About
- Report: 7 More Actresses Are Being Considered for True Detective Lead
- My Father Was James Brown. I Watched Him Beat My Mother. And Then I Found Myself With Someone Like Dad.
- Abbi and Ilana Talk Cereal in This World Premiere of Their Web Series Hack Into Broad City
- Geoff Stults & Colin Egglesfield Go Shirtless at Nautica Triathlon!
- Lady Gaga Celebrates The Late Paul Horn with 'Nature Boy' Tony Bennett Duet - Listen Now!
- Kristen Bell & Husband Dax Shephard Look Perfect Together at 'This Is Where I Leave You' Premiere
- Rihanna Slams CBS For Pulling Her Song From Thursday Night Football Intro