Telluride 2012: Zac Efron and Dennis Quaid Defend a Farm in 'At Any Price'
Ramin Bahrani's melodrama about a farm family in peril gets a muted response at Telluride Film Festival.
Telluride, Colo. -- Zac Efron wasn't on hand for the Telluride screening of director Ramin Bahrani’s melodrama At Any Price, in which he plays the NASCAR-obsessed rebel son on an an Iowa farmer, played by Dennis Quaid. But Bahrani and Quaid raced from the film's Venice Film Festival world premiere to introduce the film at Telluride's Chuck Jones Cinema. "They said we were gonna have a gondola and that really confused us," joked Bahrani, since in Venice gondolas ply the canals while in Telluride the gondola is a mountain ski lift.
Reviewing the film in Venice, The Hollywood Reporter's David Rooney called it an "accomplished, well-acted film..an engrossingly serious-minded heartland drama, rich in moral ambiguity, that examines the challenging relationship of fathers and sons in the difficult terrain of modern commercial farming." Rooney praised Quaid's and Efron's performances, comparing the film to Death of a Salesman.
The reception in Telluride was more mixed, though. The audience awarded the movie applause that was modest and respectful and which may have been influenced by the director's and star's presence. "The best film I've seen at Telluride, an Oscar contender for sure," one audience member insisted. But the overall reaction was cooler. Some expressed exasperation over the film's eccentric plot, and even its fans admitted to a large plot hole or two.
Fall TV Preview
What's Hot In Awards
- McKayla Maroney Was Reportedly Underage In Hacked Nude Photos
- Richard Lewis Talks Richard Lewis: Bundle of Nerves: Mighty Movie Podcast
- Justin Verlander Addresses Online Photo Hacking Of Him And Girlfriend Kate Upton
- Internet Tries Donating In 'Honor' Of Leaked Jennifer Lawrence Photos, Nonprofit's Not Having It
- Rita Ora & Cara Delevingne Flaunt Their Long Legs at GQ Men of the Year Awards 2014
- Gerard Butler Makes Hugo Boss Look So Good at GQ Men of the Year Awards 2014
- Mindy Kaling to 'Flare': If I Want 3 Kids, I Need to Get Going (Exclusive Pic!)
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Honored Her Mom Marcheline at Their Intimate Wedding