'Thelma and Louise' Collaborators Reunite on Austin Film Festival Panel (Exclusive Video)
THR's awards analyst Scott Feinberg moderated a chat with Callie Khouri and Susan Sarandon, as well as "Breaking Bad" creator Vince Gilligan, writer/director Jonathan Demme and producer/exec Barry Josephson, in the Lone Star State.
On Oct. 26, I moderated a fun panel at the Austin Film Festival with five industry-insiders who the festival had just honored with awards: Oscar-winning writer/director/documentarian Jonathan Demme (Extraordinary Contribution to Filmmaking Award), Emmy-winning writer/director/showrunner Vince Gilligan (Outstanding Television Writer Award), producer/studio exec/festival patron Barry Josephson (Heart of Film Award), Oscar-winning writer/director/showrunner Callie Khouri (Distinguished Screenwriter Award) and Oscar-winning actress Susan Sarandon (Extraordinary Contribution to Filmmaking Award).
We spent a fun 90 minutes discussing their early influences, big breaks, career highlights, setbacks and thoughts about the future. Here -- above and below the text -- are two particularly memorable excerpts of our conversation. In one, Khouri -- seated beside Sarandon, the star of the first film ever made from one of Khouri's screenplays, Thelma and Louise (1991), for which she won a best original screenplay Oscar -- discusses the origins and evolution of that film. In the other, Demme leaves Breaking Bad creator Gilligan and former Columbia Pictures president of production Josephson awestruck at the remarkable string of coincidences and luck that led to him becoming a filmmaker.
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
What's Hot In Awards
- William Guarnere Dead: 'Band Of Brothers' Vet Dies At 90
- "Spike In My Veins": Talking with Korn's Jonathan Davis, A Chat with Skaters' Michael Ian Cummings and a Break of Reality Exclusive
- The MovieFilm Podcast: Remembering Ghostbusters, Plus Aaron Paul on Need For Speed
- 'Looking' Season 1 Is Refreshing Despite Some Characterization Flaws