Visual Effects Whiz Jonathan Erland to Receive Academy's John A. Bonner Medal
He will receive the honor at the Scientific and Technical Awards on Feb. 11.
Visual effects technologist Jonathan Erland will receive the John A. Bonner Medal of Commendation at the Academy of Arts and Sciences’ Scientific and Technical Awards, to be held Feb. 11 at the Beverly Wilshire Hotel.
The award, voted by the Academy’s board of governors, is named in honor of the late director of special projects at Warner Hollywood Studios and is awarded for "outstanding service and dedication in upholding the high standards of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences."
Erland began his professional training in the entertainment industry studying theater at the Central School in England and film at the London Film School. In one of his earliest jobs, he was part of the team building the audio-animatronic puppet theaters for the I.B.M. Pavilion at the 1964 New York World’s Fair.
After moving to Los Angeles, Erland maintained dual careers in both the entertainment and the industrial exhibit design fields. He joined the newly created Industrial Light & Magic to work on the visual effects for 1977’s Star Wars. He continued in the visual effects field as director of research and development for Apogee Productions, where he received patents for a reverse bluescreen traveling matte process, the Blue-Max flux projector and a method for making front projection screens. The innovations, along with the development of a digital traveling matte system, also earned Academy Scientific and Technical Awards.
In 2007 Erland received an Award of Commendation for "his leadership and efforts toward identifying and solving the problem of High-Speed Emulsion Stress Syndrome in motion picture film stock."
An Academy member since 1984, Erland was instrumental in establishing visual effects as a separate Academy branch in 1995. He has served 11 years on the Academy’s board of governors and many years on the executive committees of both the visual effects branch and the Scientific and Technical Awards. He also is a founding member of the Academy’s Science and Technology Council.
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
What's Hot In Awards
- This Guy's Acapella Version Of Mike Tyson's 'Punch Out' Will Make You Nostalgic (VIDEO)
- Conan O'Brien Gives Body-Slam Filled Review Of The WWE 2K14 Video Game
- George Lopez Returns With 'Saint George' And Talks Diversity On Television (VIDEO)
- Brittany Murphy & Dakota Fanning Were The Perfect Couple In 'Uptown Girls'
- Ian Somerhalder Sings Smokey Robinson Classic in 'Esquire China' Behind the Scene Video - Watch Now!
- 'Glee'Actor Harry Shum Jr. is Engaged to Girlfriend Shelby Rabara!
- Nicole Richie Proudly Rocks New Purple Hair at Lunch with Joel Madden!
- Zooey Deschanel's 'New Girl' & Mindy Kaling's 'Mindy Project' Get Early Renewals From Fox!