From 'The Artist' to 'War Horse,' 23 Awards Contenders That Prominently Feature Animals (Photos)
THR profiles the dogs, cats, horses, chimps, pandas, lions, tigers, chipmunks, bears, penguins, whales, lambs, beavers, macaws, chameleons and ferrets that have made this awards season a veritable zoo.
Over the past month or so -- during which I saw Carnage, Hugo and The Adventures of Tintin and have been itching to see War Horse and We Bought a Zoo -- it dawned on me that they are just a small handful of a great many 2011 awards hopefuls that prominently feature animals ... many of which actually give very good "performances."
Sure, every year are a handful of animated flicks are built around anthropomorphic creatures, but this year seems to have even more of those than usual, plus a marked uptick in live-action flicks involving animals. So I sat down, came up with a list of 23 examples and assembled the following photo gallery of them.
I hope that you'll check out my selections -- and let me know of any omissions, as well as your personal favorite, in the comments section at the bottom of this post.
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
What's Hot In Awards
- Pee-wee Herman's Bike From 'Pee-wee's Big Adventure' Sells For $36,600 On eBay
- HUVr Hoverboard Is Not Shipping In December (Or Ever, For That Matter)
- Stratosphere: A Conversation with Matt Sorum and Album Preview
- 'Grey's Anatomy' 'You Got to Hide Your Love Away' Recap: Yang and Owen Back in the Sack