From 'The Artist' to 'War Horse,' 23 Awards Contenders That Prominently Feature Animals (Photos)
THR profiles the dogs, cats, horses, chimps, pandas, lions, tigers, chipmunks, bears, penguins, whales, lambs, beavers, macaws, chameleons and ferrets that have made this awards season a veritable zoo.
Over the past month or so -- during which I saw Carnage, Hugo and The Adventures of Tintin and have been itching to see War Horse and We Bought a Zoo -- it dawned on me that they are just a small handful of a great many 2011 awards hopefuls that prominently feature animals ... many of which actually give very good "performances."
Sure, every year are a handful of animated flicks are built around anthropomorphic creatures, but this year seems to have even more of those than usual, plus a marked uptick in live-action flicks involving animals. So I sat down, came up with a list of 23 examples and assembled the following photo gallery of them.
I hope that you'll check out my selections -- and let me know of any omissions, as well as your personal favorite, in the comments section at the bottom of this post.
- Exclusive Portraits of Robert Griffin III, Ronda Rousey, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar (Photos)
- MOBA: Inside the Biggest Sporting Event You've Never Heard Of (Photos)
- 'Girls,' Tatiana Maslany and 18 More of the Biggest Emmy Snubs (Photos)
- Emmy Awards 2014: The Nominees (Photos)
- Hollywood's Notable Deaths of 2014 (Photos)
What's Hot In Awards
- Jon Stewart Wants You To Help Him Buy CNN
- Dwayne 'The Rock' Johnson And Jimmy Fallon Were Failed Fitness Instructors Once
- From "Eve Of Destruction" to "Already Gone": Conversations with Jack Tempchin and P.F. Sloan, Plus a Godsmack Track
- Lena Dunham Asks Why People Use Birth Control, World Learns Critical Lesson