4:07pm PT by Chris Gardner
Nickelodeon Celebrates New Burbank Facility With Pitbull, Nick Cannon and Shari Redstone
SpongeBob has a new home.
Nickelodeon cut the ribbon on its brand-new Burbank facility on Wednesday during a day full of events to celebrate the newly expanded property, featuring more than 200,000 square feet of space. The complex — a state-of-the-art, sustainable facility — now hosts more than 700 Nickelodeon employees and more than 20 active show productions.
Many of those staffers were on hand to toast the grand opening, which proved to be a pretty great party for a kids' network. Chart-topper Pitbull headlined the festivities and was joined onstage by Nick Cannon and Austin Mahone. The rapper performed "Give Me Everything," "Fireball," "Don't Stop the Party" and "Feel This Moment," while Cannon handled DJ duties alongside J Boogie and DJ Colgate from Nick Radio. Network representatives even presented Pitbull with a birthday cake from Sugar Babies Cupcakery to celebrate his upcoming birthday — he turns 36 on Jan. 15 — and he seemed stoked about the whole event.
"It's an honor to partner with Nickelodeon and celebrate the opening of its Burbank studios," Pitbull told The Hollywood Reporter. "Thank you for the birthday cake and being part of such a special night. Dale!"
Special, indeed. Nick pulled out all the stops for the party, and below are a few highlights, along with exclusive images of inside the bash.
• Hors d’oeuvres: Tomato-soup shooters with truffled grilled-cheese sandwiches; crushed fava-bean crostini with lime oil, mint and citrus caviar; crispy calamari cones tossed in furikake; and personal pizzas in miniboxes, with flavors including caprese with heritage tomato sauce, mozzarella, baby basil and an arugula-pesto dollop, as well as meat lover's with baby pepperoni, confit peppers and red onion.
• Food stations included: sliders and tots; chicken-and-waffle sliders; short-rib sliders; and furikake-dusted classic tots with sriracha aioli.
• SoCal BBQ station: grilled farmers market vegetable skewers with lime oil; Mexi-coke asada BBQ chicken; Santa Maria-style BBQ tri-tip; and sides of smoked corn-bread beignets with honey-butter drizzle.
• Dessert options: doughnut wall (Harvey Beaks "Harvey, Fee and Foo" tropical doughnuts; Rocko's Modern Life rocky-road doughnuts; Albert Merry Christmas cinnamon doughnuts; and Game Shakers' GAME chocolate doughnuts); pop heaven (SpongeBob SquarePants Pop-Tart pop with champagne-berry filling; Hey Arnold! dark-chocolate-covered sandwich-cookie pops; The Loud House red-velvet sandwich-cookie pops; and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles chocolate, caramel and peanut turtle pops).
• Other highlights included a digital mosaic wall, an "Animate Me" photo booth, a laser-etching station, virtual-reality stations, 3D gummy-printing station, a slime balloon installation and an event takeaway with branded Rice Krispie treats.