'American Idiot' Theater Review: Billie Joe Armstrong Electrifies an Already Exhilarating Musical
3:12 PM PST 1/9/2011 by David Rooney
NEW YORK -- Pay attention, Bono. Billie Joe Armstrong is presenting a kickass case that popular music and Broadway can make beautiful bedfellows. And hey look, Julie Taymor, there's also a mesmerizing flying sequence in which nobody gets hurt!
Parallels to the eternally evolving Spider-Man: Turn Off the Dark aside, American Idiot is an exemplary lesson in full-throttle commitment from a major rock star stepping into the uncustomary arena of musical theater.
Subscribe now to read the full article
- Read The Hollywood Reporter on any mobile device
- Email complete articles to clients or colleagues
- Interactive Radio: listen to the topics or headlines that interest you
- RSS Feed: read in a timely manner with easy to find content
- Read Offline: locate issues and articles easily at any time, no internet connection needed
Already a Subscriber? Log In
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR