Andrew Jenks, Room 335
7 p.m. Tuesday, Jan. 15
Andrew Jenks, a 19-year-old student filmmaker in 2005, had an idea that was both profound and naive about how to spend his summer vacation. He thought he would make a film about what it was like to become a resident in an assisted-living facility for about five weeks. After being turned down at several, he got a room at the Harbor Place, a posh, beachside facility outside of Port St. Lucie, Fla.
"I could learn from old people," Jenks tells the camera. Over the course of his stay, Jenks learns more about old people than from them. He learns that many of the Harbor Place residents are spirited, social and eager to help others, at least as far as their own physical limitations permit.
In very little time, Jenks forms attachments to a half-dozen of them, making the documentary as much a collage of individual character portraits as a statement about the needs and wants of seniors.
Most unforgettable is Tammy, nearly 96, who is witty and reflective. She jokes that her pills are for birth control and blesses each new morning. But she also feels the pain that comes from outliving everyone who has been close to her. "I don't know if it's a blessing to live this long," she opines.
Almost nothing is said about staff or family visits. The financial aspect of aging is ignored entirely, which might be just as well, because for most families a room at Harbor Place would probably be a budget-buster. Still, there's something warm and endearing about many of the residents, and once you meet them, it's hard to forget them.
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Pee-wee Herman's Bike From 'Pee-wee's Big Adventure' Sells For $36,600 On eBay
- HUVr Hoverboard Is Not Shipping In December (Or Ever, For That Matter)
- Stratosphere: A Conversation with Matt Sorum and Album Preview
- 'Grey's Anatomy' 'You Got to Hide Your Love Away' Recap: Yang and Owen Back in the Sack