Concert Review: AC/DC
(Saturday, Dec. 6)
The veteran Aussie quintet spotlights its new album "Black Ice" but leaves plenty of room for the guitar-fueled classics.
Let's just pretend The Hollywood Reporter assigned two people -- a cynical, jaded critic and a die-hard longtime fan -- to review AC/DC's show Saturday at the Forum.
Critic: Another AC/DC tour? The band is almost 30 years past its creative peak. And the show never changes; it's like watching a movie over and over. Even their hairstyles are exactly the same.
Fan: Dude, it was just like '82 and '91 and '01!
Critic: The show opens with a video game-inspired train wreck. It's a metaphor for Brian Johnson's voice.
Fan: Dude, the Rock N Roll Train, like, crashed through the back of the stage! Epic! And Brian was shoutin' his ass off!
Critic: Most of AC/DC's repertoire goes the easy route by servicing the carnal over the cranial. And the note-for-note delivery is uninventive.
Fan: "Dirty Deeds" kicked! So did "Thunderstruck"! Just like the records, man! Anyone who didn't get off on this show must think rock 'n' roll is just noise pollution!
Critic: As always, spotlight-hogging guitarist Angus Young marched in place, bobbed up and down, did a mini-striptease, blah, blah -- all while delivering basic riffs and redundant solos. Then there's that crusty "Whole Lotta Rosie" solo he's been doing since the Carter administration.
Fan: Dude, Angus fully shredded! The "Rosie" jam was like 10 minutes!
Critic: And Young's guitar was so far up in the mix that it dominated everything, including Johnson's vocals.
Fan: Dude, Angus was so loud my teeth bled!
Critic: Too many of the songs sound just alike.
Fan: Dude, it was one killer concert song after another!
Critic: The video screens often showed borderline sexist images.
Fan: Dude, they showed different chicks in the crowd every time Brian sang "she got the jack." LMAO!
Critic: Even the video images of fire during "Highway to Hell" had Georgia O'Keeffe overtones.
Fan: Dude, and remember the song ends with "and I'm goin' down." Heh-heh heh.
Critic: Maybe it's time for AC/DC to call it a career.
Fan: Dude, the very best part: The last thing Brian said was, "We'll see you again."
Rock N Roll Train
Hell Ain't a Bad Place to Be
Back in Black
Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap
Shoot to Thrill
You Shook Me All Night Long
Whole Lotta Rosie
Let There Be Rock
Highway to Hell
For Those About to Rock (We Salute You)
- Kendall Jenner Snaps A Selfie In Her Underwear
- Essence Festival Attracts Thousands To New Orleans To Celebrate, Empower Black Lives Everywhere
- Margot Robbie Celebrates Her Birthday As Harley Quinn On The Set Of 'Suicide Squad'
- INTERVIEW: Dana Nachman, Patricia Wilson, and Mike Jutan on Batkid Begins
- Joey Chestnut Gets Upset By Matthew Stonie at Hot Dog Eating Contest (Video)
- Kate Hudson Slays the National Anthem For Independence Day - Watch Now!
- Milla Jovovich Flaunts Post-Baby Body After Giving Birth Three Months Ago
- Karolina Kurkova Is Pregnant Again, Expecting Second Baby With Husband Archie Drury