Hamesima X: Film Review
Yuval Ovadia, Or Yashar, Prosper Malka
Shalom Sharon Raginiano, Yuval Ovadia, Danny Shteg
A Mossad agent interrogates a Kabbalah-spouting alien in this Israeli sci-fi thriller.
Its video incarnation eventually destined to become a stocking stuffer for those on Madonna’s Christmas gift list, the Israeli feature Hamesima X is a loopy sci-fi exercise that uses the teachings of the Kabbalah as a springboard for a metaphysical thriller. While its blending of philosophy and B-movie conventions will produce more bemused chuckles than converts, the film certainly earns points for sheer audacity.
The story is set almost entirely within the confines of the headquarters of Israel’s spy agency, the Mossad, where a hard-boiled agent (Shalom Sharon Raginiano) has been given the assignment of interrogating a mysterious figure who has breached its security.
The placid, smiling interloper (co-director/screenwriter Yuval Ovadia) announces that he is an alien sent by angels from a spiritual realm to help the skeptical agent through his myriad personal troubles, including an impending divorce and the recent death of his father, who left a mysterious will.
Displaying extensive personal knowledge of his interrogator’s personal life, the visitor delivers Kabbalah-inspired life lessons augmented by cheesy animated interludes and archival footage of the Holocaust, among other world events. Along the way, he also has psychic run-ins with a demonic tramp and a kung-fu fighting ninja.
The mystical scenario is presented in a ponderous, straight-laced fashion that would make Scientologists blush. Devoid of the humor that might have made the ludicrous proceedings more palatable, Hamesima X merely comes across as a unique curiosity that might inspire playful audience reactions at midnight screenings in Tel Aviv.
Opened: Friday, April 26 (Real Vision Productions)
Cast: Shalom Sharon Raginiano, Yuval Ovadia, Danny Shteg, Rafi Taylor, Eli Ivgi
Directors/screenwriters: Yuval Ovadia, Or Yashar, Prosper Malka
Producer/editor: Yuval Ovadia
Director of photography: Or Yashar
Costume designer: Ofer Shachar
Composer: David D’aur
Not rated, 88 min.
Titans of Comic-Con: Stars Re-Create Classic Characters (Photos)
- Exclusive Portraits of Robert Griffin III, Ronda Rousey, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar (Photos)
- MOBA: Inside the Biggest Sporting Event You've Never Heard Of (Photos)
- Emmy Awards 2014: The Nominees (Photos)
- Hollywood's Notable Deaths of 2014 (Photos)
- Neil LaBute Q&A: The Controversial Playwright Talks About His L.A. Theater Takeover
- Top Off-Broadway Shows to Watch in NYC This Season: Part One
- Megan Fox Is Not Thrilled About The 'Girl Power' That Was Cut From 'TMNT'
- Keith Olbermann's Powerful Speech About Lack Of Respect For Women In Sports Is A Must Watch