Hart of Dixie: TV Review
Monday, Sep. 26, 9 p.m. (CW)
Rachel Bilson, Kaitlyn Black, McKaley Miller, Jaime King
Rachel Bilson plays a fast-talking, heartless New York doctor who heads South to pursue her dreams.
Hart of Dixie (Sept. 26, 9 p.m.) is one of those shows on the CW that will surprise you (and not just because the star is not a witch or a vampire).
CW does well at giving series a sense of place (and, as a side note, they really haven’t turned out anything as offensively bad as Charlie’s Angels, when you’d think that would be perfect for the network).
No, the CW can make a surprisingly touching little show when it’s not trying to be all upper East Side uber-bitchy. And Hart of Dixie focuses on the hyper-driven Zoe Hart (Rachel Bilson), a doctor who wants to emulate her always-absent surgeon father. She’s got his drive and apparently his heartlessness, which is why no matter how talented she is, she can’t land that New York dream job. And she’s a New Yorker through and through.
But at her graduation, after a killer graduation speech, Zoe is approached by a kindly old doctor who tells her she should come his podunk town of Bluebell, Alabama. She tells him that’s not possible because she’s got a plan (to dominate the doctor world), but faster than you can says “I saw this fish out of water story coming an hour before the show even started,” she’s accepting the offer to be a doctor in Bluebell.
Complications arise, many of them too rote to mention. But Hart of Dixie would (or could) have miles on it if they made Zoe look more like a doctor and less like a high-priced call girl. It’s a lot over the top – we get it, she’s not in Manhattan anymore – but perhaps the pilot really wanted to hammer home the New Yorker in Alabama thing. Pilots do that.
If you’re looking for some sentimental lesson-learning, the wafer-light Hart of Dixie may fill an hour for you. It’s I, Claudius compared to Charlie’s Angels and it could certainly appeal to the young female demo of CW.
- Scarlett Johansson, Lupita Nyong'o in Talks for Disney's 'Jungle Book' (Exclusive)
- Bryan Singer Accuser Names Three Hollywood Insiders in New Sex Abuse Lawsuits (Video)
- The Scene and Stars at the Tribeca Film Festival (Photos)
- Summer Movie Preview: Will Godzilla or Spider-Man (Or Angelina Jolie?) Dominate Your Cineplex?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Matt Bomer Talks 'Fifty Shades' Casting Rumors, Wants to Return for 'Magic Mike XXL'!
- Taylor Swift & Sarah Hyland See an Off-Broadway Play Together!
- Hilary Duff Treats Herself to a Vegan Dinner at Crossroads!
- Kate Middleton & Prince William Express Sadness Over Death of Camilla Parker Bowles' Brother