Nothing Special: Film Review
Friday, Nov. 11 (House of Film)
Julia Garcia Combs, Karen Black, Barbara Bain
Angela Garcia Combs
Barbara Bain and Karen Black supply the bright spots in this mother-daughter dramedy from Angela Garcia Combs.
It may be tempting to suggest that Nothing Special lives up to its title, but the truth is this low-budget dramedy falls short of being merely conventional.
Flip-flopping between standard rom-com shtick and heavier dramatic interludes but remaining unconvincing in both modes, this portrait of a single young woman balancing her career with caring for her emotionally unbalanced mother never strikes the required empathetic tone.
More noteworthy is a supporting cast that includes old pros Barbara Bain and Karen Black, who each have their own unique way of making the stock characters their own.
Lead Louise (Julia Garcia Combs) is an ambitious insurance underwriter who is given to fantasizing about being interviewed by Oprah and getting it on with a cute but dim-witted actor-bartender (David Hardie), when not having to deal with those unpredictable outbursts from her wacko mom, May (Black, in full eccentric mode).
Meanwhile, Louise takes solace in the symbolic mother-daughter relationship she has with her brassy boss, Catherine (played with cool, understated efficiency by Bain), who's quite fond of the word, "kiddo."
Director-screenwriter Angela Garcia Combs has a habit of telling rather than showing when it comes to her characters, meaning that we know Louise is smart and great at her job because her boss keeps telling her so rather than seeing her in action, using her acumen to, say, find her way around closing a tricky deal.
As written and performed, there's a smugness to the central character that makes it difficult to root for her, despite her considerable mother issues.
But it's always nice to see Bain and Black in action, as well as hear the likes of Janis Ian, whose lovely, acoustic "We Endure" is played over the end credits.
Opened: Friday, Nov. 11 (House of Film)
Production companies: Yellow Wallpaper Prods.
Cast: Julia Garcia Combs, Karen Black, Barbara Bain
Director-screenwriter: Angela Garcia Combs
Executive producers: Angela Garcia Combs, Ben Combs, Mark Sheppard, Lynda Timbers, Daniel Combs
Producers: Sascha Schneider, Richard Wilson
Director of photography: Morgan Pierre Susser
Music: Laura Karpman
Editor: Jill D'Agnenica
No MPAA rating, 99 minutes
Titans of Comic-Con: Stars Re-Create Classic Characters (Photos)
- Exclusive Portraits of Robert Griffin III, Ronda Rousey, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar (Photos)
- MOBA: Inside the Biggest Sporting Event You've Never Heard Of (Photos)
- Emmy Awards 2014: The Nominees (Photos)
- Hollywood's Notable Deaths of 2014 (Photos)
- Sexual Harassment At Comic-Con Leads To Call For New Convention Policy
- A Conversation with CBS This Morning's Anthony Mason, Plus Chase Rice, Gentle Giant's Derek Shulman & William Gage Blanton
- The 'Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part 1' Trailer Is Here To Fight
- Robert Davi: Singing the Songs He Loves in a Place He Loves
- 'Hunger Games: Mockingjay' Debuts First Teaser Trailer - Watch Now!
- 'Orange Is The New Black' Almost Sweeps Young Hollywood Awards 2014 - See Complete Winners List!
- Newlyweds Naya Rivera & Ryan Dorsey Kiss, Look So in Love in Los Angeles - See Her Huge Wedding Ring!
- Justin Bieber Receives the Champ of Charity Award at the Young Hollywood Awards 2014