Over Your Cities Grass Will Grow: Film Review
Sophie Fiennes' documentary "Over Your Cities Grass Will Grow" is a trying 105 minutes of Fiennes recording German artist Anselm Kiefer making his elemental painting-installations in slow pans, long tracking or still shots, with no narrative.
CANNES -- During an interview in Sophie Fiennes' documentary on German artist Anselm Kiefer, Kiefer pontificates on Heidegger and asserts that "boredom is the basis of existence." Viewers who don't care for contemporary art and know nothing about philosophy will be plunged into this said "basis of existence" for most of its trying 105 minutes as Fiennes records Kiefer making his elemental painting installations in the most straightforward of slow pans, long tracking or still shots, with no narration.
Subscribe now to read the full article
- Read The Hollywood Reporter on any mobile device
- Email complete articles to clients or colleagues
- Interactive Radio: listen to the topics or headlines that interest you
- RSS Feed: read in a timely manner with easy to find content
- Read Offline: locate issues and articles easily at any time, no internet connection needed
Already a Subscriber? Log In
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR