Revenge: TV Review
Sept. 21, 10 p.m. (ABC)
Emily VanCamp, Madeleine Stowe
The actress is a "nice combo of sweet/sexy and ice-cold" in ABC's new drama, writes Tim Goodman.
Intriguing and genuinely fun – though you worry about its long-term appeal – is ABC’s Revenge, starring Emily VanCamp (Everwood, Brothers & Sisters) as a young girl who returns to the Hamptons to exact – you guessed it – revenge on all the people who wronged her father when she was growing up there.
Her chief foil is a willfully wicked Madeleine Stowe, who exerts iron-fist control over Hamptons society. The pilot has a killing and a comeuppance and hints of more to come – and VanCamp is a nice combo of sweet/sexy and ice-cold.
"This is not a story about forgiveness,” she says in voice-over.
Well, OK then.
The obvious question here is how many people can you actually kill on the Hamptons?
Her circle of choices appears to be in single digits, so there will have to be some complications or a lot of stalling to make this work long-term. But the pilot is enjoyable enough that you should add it to your DVR as a solidly soapy option.
- Scarlett Johansson, Lupita Nyong'o in Talks for Disney's 'Jungle Book' (Exclusive)
- Bryan Singer Breaks Silence on Abuse Claims: 'Outrageous, Vicious and Completely False'
- The Scene and Stars at the Tribeca Film Festival (Photos)
- Summer Movie Preview: Will Godzilla or Spider-Man (Or Angelina Jolie?) Dominate Your Cineplex?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Bryan Singer Addresses Sexual Abuse Allegations: They Are 'Outrageous' & 'Completely False'
- Elizabeth Banks Attends Screening for 'Walk of Shame', Wears Two Dresses!
- 'Jem & the Holograms' Leading Cast Revealed: Aubrey Peeples, Stefanie Scott, & More!
- Novak Djokovic Expecting First Child with Fiancee Jelena Ristic!