SUNDANCE REVIEW: 'The Details' Is a Rom-com That Becomes Something Much Darker
Jacob Aaron Estes' dramedy starring Tobey Maguire - which just sold for $8 million to the Weinsteins - takes viewers to the land of moral ambiguity where most of us live.
PARK CITY — If the devil is in The Details, it’s human bumbling that invites him in. Dr. Jeff Lang (Tobey Maguire) and is wife Nealy (Elizabeth Banks) live a comfortable middle-class life in Seattle, USA, but a chain reaction of thoughtless actions turns what starts out as a romantic comedy into something much darker and richer. Writer-director Jacob Aaron Estes’ real accomplishment is successfully moving the tone of the movie from broad comedy to some serious business. The Details was picked up at Sundance by the Weinsteins, who should be able to use the picture’s star power and savvy marketing to make it a date night conversation piece.
Subscribe now to read the full article
- Read The Hollywood Reporter on any mobile device
- Email complete articles to clients or colleagues
- Interactive Radio: listen to the topics or headlines that interest you
- RSS Feed: read in a timely manner with easy to find content
- Read Offline: locate issues and articles easily at any time, no internet connection needed
Already a Subscriber? Log In
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR