SUNDANCE REVIEW: Position Among the Stars
PARK CITY-- (World Documentary Competition) If the Loud family of Santa Barbara, featured in the landmark PBS documentary, "An American Family," had lived instead in a shantytown in Jakarta, Indonesia, the resulting film would look something like a remarkable trilogy of docs made by Dutch filmmaker Leonard Rentel Helmrich, which concludes with "Position Among the Stars."
Helmrich has observed the Shamshuddin family living in a Jakarta slum for a dozen years to make his cinema verite saga. While the tumultuous changes that have rocked Indonesian society swirl around the family, of course, more than anything Rentel Helmrich has intimately captured a family in transition as they adjust to bewildering gaps in education, outlook, religion and even class among three generations jammed into cramped quarters.
Subscribe now to read the full article
- Read The Hollywood Reporter on any mobile device
- Email complete articles to clients or colleagues
- Interactive Radio: listen to the topics or headlines that interest you
- RSS Feed: read in a timely manner with easy to find content
- Read Offline: locate issues and articles easily at any time, no internet connection needed
Already a Subscriber? Log In
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR