You Instead: Film Review
Director David Mackenzie's film about two rival band members handcuffed to each other takes too long to find its footing.
AUSTIN — A verité-style feature enacting the thinnest possible plot with a supporting cast of 85,000 souls, You Instead, shot in four-and-a-half days amid the muck and clamor of Scotland's T in the Park music festival, offers less pop ecstasy than expected. After a while though, it does find its hook. Commercial potential depends wholly on the art-house cachet of director David Mackenzie, who makes a stark turn here from the darker tales (like Young Adam) that earned him attention.
Subscribe now to read the full article
- Read The Hollywood Reporter on any mobile device
- Email complete articles to clients or colleagues
- Interactive Radio: listen to the topics or headlines that interest you
- RSS Feed: read in a timely manner with easy to find content
- Read Offline: locate issues and articles easily at any time, no internet connection needed
Already a Subscriber? Log In
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR