'Beasts of the Southern Wild' Trailer Hits the Web (Video)
Fox Searchlight releases the first trailer for the Sundance hit.
After wowing audiences (and winning the Grand Jury Prize for Drama) at Sundance, Beasts of the Southern Wild is headed to theaters in June. To begin re-building the buzz that it earned at the Utah festival, the film has just released its first theatrical trailer from Fox Searchlight.
Co-written and directed by first time filmmaker Benh Zeitlin, the film features a poverty-ridden but culturally rich Bayou community near New Orleans. A young girl named Hushpuppy (played by non-professional actor Quvenzhané Wallis, is raised by her often drunk, absentee father -- but through the strength of her imagination and community, she sees the beauty in their natural surroundings. As the community falls apart due to levee destruction, Hushpuppy must make sense of her world and find a way to survive.
"Beasts unequivocally casts a spell, one that emanates from the strange world it inhabits and evokes, as well as from the extraordinarily sensitive and expressive way Zeitlin and his colleagues have rendered it," The Hollywood Reporter's Todd McCarthy wrote in his review. "The director... assembled a sort of collective of artisans to collaborate on this feature, and what has come of it, in the way the exquisite images, fleet cutting, exotic music, vivid naturescapes, native people and local language merge so seamlessly, is a movie that pulsates with the stuff of life. It’s very much an art piece, to be sure, but it feels like a genuine one that, while meditated, speaks fluently and truly for the place, people and culture it so indelibly depicts."
The film hits theaters on June 29.
- Hippie Blues: 45 Years of Led Zeppelin
- Music Turns Me on: A Conversation With the Hot Band Dopapod
- Ira Sachs' New Film "Love is Strange" Screens at the Deauville American Film Festival: Alfred Molina and John Lithgow as a Married Couple in Love
- 'Dancing With The Stars' Contestant Alfonso Ribeiro Proves Carlton Still Got It
- Lupita Nyong'o Visits 'Sesame Street' and It's All Kinds of Adorable (VIDEO)
- What Every '90s Kid Needs to See in the 'I Know What You Did Last Summer' Reboot
- What's On TV Tonight: 'The Mindy Project' and 'New Girl' Season Premieres, 'Sons of Anarchy,' and More Picks
- 'Sons of Anarchy's' Kim Coates Says the Final Season Is 'Full Out, Full Throttle, Wiping Everybody Out'