Ben Affleck's 'I Killed My Lesbian Wife' Short Film Emerges Online (Video)
Produced in 1993, the dark comedy attempts to skewer Hollywood, but it's a long way from "Argo."
Take heart, aspiring filmmakers: If you feel hopeless and a world away from success when you see Ben Affleck showered with praise on Sunday, just remember that 20 years ago, he produced this.
Long before The Town, prior to Bennifer and Armageddon, even before Good Will Hunting and Kevin Smith flicks, the director of the Oscar-nominated Argo helmed a short film called I Killed My Lesbian Wife, Ηung Ηer on a Μeathook & Νow I Have a Three-Picture Deal with Disney. A satire, to be kind, the film tells the story of a crazed low-rent director who auditions a woman for a movie and screams at his bound and gagged wife. The logic behind it, though, is fuzzy.
Affleck has laughed off the film before, calling it "atrocious" in a 2010 interview with Entertainment Weekly.
"It's horrible. It's atrocious," he said. "I knew I wanted to be a director, and I did a couple of short films, and this is the only one that haunts me. I'm not proud of it. It looks like it was made by someone who has no prospects, no promise."
Just five years after Lesbian Wife was released, Affleck won an Oscar for co-writing Good Will Hunting, which he had begun writing years before. Who'd have thought?
- 'Fifty Shades of Grey' Trailer: All Kinds of Hotness (VIDEO)
- Best of Late Night TV: Audra McDonald Sings Yahoo! Answers, Robin Wright Dances, Conan's 'Sharktopus vs. Pteracuda' Cameo
- John Boyega is 'Aiming' for a Marvel Movie Role
- Dan Aykroyd Assures Us That 'Ghostbusters 3' Will Start Filming Next Spring (VIDEO)
- Selena Gomez Stuns in Two Totally Different Looks at Leonardo DiCaprio's Foundation Gala
- Leonardo DiCaprio Brings Girlfriend Toni Garrn to His Foundation Gala, Raises $25 Million to Protect the Earth!
- Mariah Carey Supports Pal Brett Ratner at 'Hercules' Premiere!
- Gerard Butler Shows Off Chest Hair Touching Down at LAX!