Emma Watson Goes From Wizard to Wild Child in 'The Bling Ring' Trailer (Video)
The "Harry Potter" heroine lets her hair down in the first raucous look at Sofia Coppola's next film.
After Harry Potter's grand finale sent her on an international press tour in 2011, Emma Watson took tentative steps away from the bookish and determined wizard role that made her a star. In last year's Perks of Being a Wallflower, she played drunk and let the wind rush through her hair to a David Bowie song. And now, she's going all out wild child.
Behold the first trailer for her next project, the Sofia Coppola-directed The Bling Ring. Based on a true story, the film casts Watson as a party girl with a penchant for stealing from the rich -- but stopping short of the full Robin Hood story -- and spending the cash on drinks, drugs and clothing.
The actual Bling Ring consisted of a number of young women that stole $3 million between 2008-2009, from the likes of Paris Hilton (who has a part in the film); Lindsay Lohan, Orlando Bloom and Miranda Kerr. The film is based on an article in Vanity Fair.
The teaser is low on dialogue but cranks up the dance music and sounds of youthful abandon. Watson follows Selena Gomez and Vanessa Hudgens in the great tradition of young ladies tossing off the shackles of family-friendly entertainment.
- TV Review: For the Love of God, Watch The Americans Tonight
- Sundance Review: Cobie Smulders, Guy Pearce, and Kevin Corrigan Reinvent the Rom-Com in Andrew Bujalski’s Results
- Watch the Trailer for Amira & Sam, Featuring Paul Wesley in a Very Different Role
- 3-Sentence Reviews: White Columns, Philip Taaffe, and More
- Jennifer Connelly Is 'Aloft' at Sundance Film Festival
- Ewan McGregor Reflects on '90s London Life With Angelina Jolie
- Dianna Agron & Patrick Wilson Have a 'Zipper' Situation at Sundance Film Festival 2015
- Malin Akerman On 'I'll See You In My Dreams' Co-Star Blythe Danner: 'She's A Legend For A Reason'