Bravo Acquires Sundance Documentary 'The Queen of Versailles'
Magnolia Pictures plans a summer release after securing distribution rights at the 2012 Sundance Film Festival.
Bravo has acquired television rights to The Queen of Versailles, a feature documentary that focuses on a wealthy Florida couple attempting to build the biggest house in the United States.
Magnolia Pictures bought film rights to the movie shortly its debut at the Sundance Film Festival in January; the company is planning a summer theatrical release.
The Lauren Greenfield-directed documentary tells the story of David and Jackie Siegel, who began building the largest home in America before the housing crash put their fortune in jeopardy. Greenfield spent three years with the couple and their family. Greenfield, Danielle Renfrew Behrens, Frank Evers and Dan Cogan produced.
The documentary will premiere in 2013 on Bravo.
"Everyone at Bravo's intense and passionate response won us over," said Josh Braun of Submarine, who represented the filmmakers in the deal. "And, of course, the affluent and upscale audience that Bravo enjoys seemed like an ideal fit for Queen of Versailles."
The Hollywood Reporter's review of Queen of Versailles called it "timely but too closely related to much of today's reality-TV fare," noting that "the doc will play best on the small screen."
Greenfield, who won Sundance's award for documentary directing, said the pairing with Bravo "seems like a perfect match, and there could not be a more interesting audience for this film.”
- The Letterman Years: Stories From Behind the Scenes of the Show That Changed Comedy Forever
- Mad Max: Fury Road Trailer: At the Very End of the World, Everything Looks Insane
- The Daily Show’s Trevor Noah Is Already in Trouble on Twitter [Updated]
- Ludacris on Ludaversal, Paul Walker, and Reinventing Himself
- 'The Breakfast Club': Molly Ringwald and Ally Sheedy Look Back 30 Years Later (EXCLUSIVE)
- Don't Mess With Melissa McCarthy in New 'Spy' Trailer
- 'Dancing With the Stars' Recap: Most Couples Sizzle and Few Fizzle on Latin Night
- 'Furious 7' Star Dwayne Johnson on Family, Cheesy Lines, and 'Furious 8' (VIDEO)