'The Deep Blue Sea' Trailer: Rachel Weisz, Tom Hiddleston Star in Forbidden Romance Drama (Video)
Terence Davies' adaptation of the 1950s play features UK stars in an adultery-themed period pic.
The Deep Blue Sea is a very British affair.
Rachel Weisz takes the lead as Hester Collyer in the film version of the famed Terence Rattigan stage play. The Terence Davies-directed picture tells the story of a woman torn between responsibilities to her husband and the passion she feels for a Royal Air Force officer, played by Tom Hiddleston. Starting with her attempted suicide, the film crawls back and forth to recount the affair and, ultimately, its bleak future, allowing Weisz to descend into emotional turmoil.
The film premiered at the Toronto Film Festival and was the closing feature at the London Film Festival. Financed by the UK Film Council and Film4, the picture is a dip into independent films for Hiddleston, who is ably toggling between indies, such as Midnight in Paris, and big studio affairs, including Thor, War Horse and The Avengers.
Weisz received strong reviews for her role as a human rights advocate in The Whistleblower and is scheduled to feature in one of Terrence Malick's upcoming films; she will venture into large features again in the upcoming Bourne Legacy and Oz: The Great and Powerful.
The Deep Blue Sea hits select theaters on March 23.
- Neil LaBute Q&A: The Controversial Playwright Talks About His L.A. Theater Takeover
- Top Off-Broadway Shows to Watch in NYC This Season: Part One
- Megan Fox Is Not Thrilled About The 'Girl Power' That Was Cut From 'TMNT'
- Keith Olbermann's Powerful Speech About Lack Of Respect For Women In Sports Is A Must Watch
- Emily Deschanel & David Boreanaz Gives Us Intense 'Bones' Season 10 Trailer - Watch Now
- Sofia Vergara & Joe Manganiello Are the Hottest Couple in Miami
- Cate Blanchett's 'Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies' Will Invade Comic-Con
- Kate Beckinsale's Birthday is Tomorrow & She's Looking More Beautiful Than Ever!