‘I Am Number Four,’ ‘Unknown’ Go Neck-and-Neck at Friday Box Office
4:09 PM PST 2/18/2011 by Pamela McClintock
Box office observers give "Number Four" an edge, but others acknowledge that "Unknown" is already doing better than expected.
DreamWorks Studios’ teen sci-fi adventure I Am Number Four and Warner Bros.’ Liam Neeson thriller Unknown were in a close race at the box office Friday afternoon, although grosses for the day won’t be available until later tonight.Box office observers are suggesting the two films will gross in the mid $20s over the long President’s Day Weekend, but that could change if one gets a bigger bump on Saturday. Some give Number Four an edge, but acknowledge that Unknown is already doing better than expected (much as Neeson’s Taken did). Business for 20th Century Fox’s Big Mommas: Like Father, Like Son is expected to pick up Friday evening as African-American families become available. Film should score a solid opening over the four-day weekend, grossing somewhere north of $20 million.
- 'The Magnificent Seven' Shoots Straight To Top Of The Box Office With $35 Million Debut
- 'Grey's Anatomy' Star Isaiah Washington Urges All African-Americans To Boycott Work
- The Cast Of 'Will & Grace' Reunited And It Was Almost Too Adorable To Handle
- Arrest Made After Reported Hacking Of Pippa Middleton's Photos
- The Magnificent Seven Performed Magnificently at the Box Office This Weekend
- Bon Iver’s Justin Vernon Talks Beyoncé, Pepsi and Corporate Partnerships: ‘You Have to Believe in Something’
- The Nirvana Nevermind Baby Recreated the Famous Cover and He Looks Exactly the Same (No, Not Really, He Got Older)
- Lin-Manuel Miranda Joins Weird Al Yankovic to Sing ‘Yoda,’ Achieving the Much Sought After Nerd Holy Trinity