Jena Malone to Play Carson McCullers in 'Lonely Hunter'
Deborah Kampmeier is directing the biographical feature about the Southern gothic writer.
Jena Malone has been cast as Southern gothic writer Carson McCullers in Lonely Hunter. Hounddog filmmaker Deborah Kampmeier is directing the biopic, which is scheduled to begin filming in the spring.
Hunter will span 35 years in the author and playwright's life, which involved debilitating illness, a messy personal life and a creative circle that included Tennessee Williams and Truman Capote. Sarah Schulman and Kampmeier wrote the script.
Troy Johanson of Full Moon Films is producing the project with Kampmeier and Blair Breard. Abigail Disney of Fork Films will be an executive producer.
"Jena's vulnerability, curiosity, and passion are perfect for Carson," said Kampmeier. "She is extremely gifted and I'm thrilled to be working with Jena in what I'm sure will be a very creative and exciting process."
The Gersh-repped Malone has appeared in Sucker Punch, The Ruins, Into the Wild, Donnie Darko and The Dangerous Lives of Altar Boys. She has the films Jack and Diane, For Ellen and The Wait forthcoming.
- Hippie Blues: 45 Years of Led Zeppelin
- Music Turns Me on: A Conversation With the Hot Band Dopapod
- Ira Sachs' New Film "Love is Strange" Screens at the Deauville American Film Festival: Alfred Molina and John Lithgow as a Married Couple in Love
- 'Dancing With The Stars' Contestant Alfonso Ribeiro Proves Carlton Still Got It
- Lupita Nyong'o Visits 'Sesame Street' and It's All Kinds of Adorable (VIDEO)
- What Every '90s Kid Needs to See in the 'I Know What You Did Last Summer' Reboot
- What's On TV Tonight: 'The Mindy Project' and 'New Girl' Season Premieres, 'Sons of Anarchy,' and More Picks
- 'Sons of Anarchy's' Kim Coates Says the Final Season Is 'Full Out, Full Throttle, Wiping Everybody Out'