'Judy Moody and the NOT Summer Bummer' Debuts at No. 7 at Friday Box Office (Video)
Newcomer Jordana Beatty and Heather Graham help bring the Megan McDonald book series to life.
Judy Moody and the NOT Summer Bummer arrived in theaters Friday, grossing $2.2 million to secure the No. 7 box office spot.
The Relativity Media film is based on Megan McDonald's bestselling book series (there are reportedly 13 million copies in print worldwide) and is targeting girls aged 6 to 12. Relativity Media is distributing the film on behalf of Smokewood Entertainment, which also came up with the film's marketing budget.
Reviews for the 91-minute pic have been mixed, with some praising its stylized esthetic -- The New York Times wrote "Take the animated adolescent flourishes of Scott Pilgrim vs. the World and apply them to a hyperactive child's imagination, and you have an idea of the texture of Judy Moody ... Schultz's rambunctiously exuberant film" -- and others simply being underwhelmed. The Hollywood Reporter's Kirk Honeycutt writes that the summer flick, directed by John Schultz, is "a for-small-children movie that excludes everyone else."
The film, written by McDonald and Kathy Waugh, chronicles Judy Moody's (Jordana Beatty) determination to have the most thrilling summer of her life, aided by her brother Stink (Parris Mosteller) and fun-loving Aunt Opal (Heather Graham).
Producers are Smokewood's Sarah Siegel-Magness and Gary Magness.
Check out the trailer below for a taste of the film.
- Taylor Swift Performs 'This Is What You Came For' During Only Concert in 2016, Giving the People That For Which They Came — More or Less
- In a Move You Can Probably Domo Arigato Mr. Robot for, NBC Is Adapting Hacker Film Sneakers
- Sky Ferreira to Do a Lot of Rockin’ and Headbangin’ in a Black Metal Film
- Ryan Gosling Was Almost Cast on Gilmore Girls, and Other Things We Learned From the Show’s Fan Fest
- Josh Hartnett Says He'd Love 'Penny Dreadful' to Return for Another Season! (Video)
- Khloe Kardashian & Lamar Odom Reach Divorce Settlement (Report)
- Celebrities React to Chicago Cubs Making it to the World Series for the First Time Since 1945!
- Katie Holmes Fuels Up On Coffee After 'LA Weekly' Meeting