How Justin Long's 'For a Good Time, Call…' Character Was Born (Video)
The actor drew inspiration from director Jamie Travis for the role, in which he plays the gay best friend to Ari Graynor and Lauren Anne Miller.
For Justin Long’s latest role, the actor drew inspiration from his director -- but not in the way you might imagine.
In For a Good Time, Call…, co-starring Lauren Anne Miller and Ari Graynor, Long plays the gay best friend, Jesse, to both Miller and Graynor’s characters, bringing them together as roommates to end a longstanding, but silly, feud. And while the character was not originally written to reflect director Jamie Travis’ personality, Long injected the role with humorous reflections of the first-time helmer.
Travis recalls first meeting Long via telephone, when the actor proclaimed that he liked Travis’ voice. “Then we were having dinner and he was recording me on his iPhone reading lines from the script,” Travis tells The Hollywood Reporter. “Which, of course, I was at first uncomfortable with because the last thing I want is for him to do a caricature of me.”
Adds Miller, who co-wrote the screenplay: “We really wanted Jesse to be grounded, and especially Jamie, it was really important to him not to create a gay stereotype in our movie and to keep it someone who would be relatable and who would feel very real.”
The film’s costume designer had fun playing up the parallels between the duo, selecting Long’s costumes to reflect Travis’ real-life wardrobe. “It was all very meta,” jokes Miller.
But that’s not to say Jesse is a direct reflection of Travis.
“It really was a starting point for him,” says the director. “He injected a kind of comedy that doesn’t exist elsewhere in the film. He’s so unique as a character, and I see a little bit of me in there.”
For more about Long’s role in the Sundance hit, watch the video above. For a Good Time, Call… hits theaters Aug. 31.
Email: Sophie.Schillaci@thr.com; Twitter: @SophieSchillaci
- 'Hot Tub Time Machine 2' Trailer Is The Funniest Thing On LouNet
- Mick Jagger Energizes "A Most Wanted Man" Premiere...Hot Stuff Coming to Broadway: "It's Only a Play" and "A Delicate Balance"--Plan in Advance!
- Fifty Shades Of Grey Adorable Animals: The Version You Aren't Embarrassed To Read In Public
- Eva Longoria Tells America Latino Doesn't Mean Immigrant
- Christopher Nolan Just Brought a New Interstellar Trailer to Comic-Con
- Comic-Con: Everything Benedict Cumberbatch Said That Made Women Scream
- 50 Shades of Grey and The Devil Wears Prada Are Basically the Same Movie
- Chris Carter on Area 51, Playing Softball With Brandon Tartikoff, and the TV Musical in His Closet