'The Lady' Trailer: Michelle Yeoh Stars in Luc Besson's Political Drama (Video)
The movie is based on the real story of a Burmese politician held under house arrest.
Director Luc Besson returns to the big screen with The Lady, about the life of Burmese politician Aung San Suu Kyi, who spent about 15 years under house arrest.
Malalysian actress Michelle Yeoh plays the title character, with David Thewlis portraying her husband, Dr. Michael Aris. During production on the drama, Suu Kyi's house arrest had been lifted and in an interview with Time, Yeoh recalled her visit with the woman she plays in her upcoming film. "It was like visiting a family friend," Yeoh said at the time. "She held my hand. I was mesmerized."
Earlier this year, Yeoh was deported from Myanmar because she was on a blacklist.
The trailer is brief, but in a way, powerful. If one had no prior knowledge of Suu Kyi's story, then the 50-second teaser may not be enough to inform the story that inspired the film.
Besson's other film Colombiana, which he wrote and produced, is out in theaters Friday.
Watch the trailer below:
- True Detective Recap: Sad and Lonely People
- Watch the Fantastic Four Cast Weather These Ignorant Interview Questions
- Travi$ Scott Got Arrested After His Lollapalooza Act for Trying to Make His Fans Go Crazy
- Halt and Catch Fire’s Kerry Bishé on Donna’s Huge Season, and Why the Show Isn’t a Bigger Hit
- Victoria & David Beckham Head Back to LA After Guy Ritchie's Wedding
- Tom Cruise Promotes 'Mission Impossible - Rogue Nation' After Box Office Win!
- January Jones, Kiernan Shipka & Jon Hamm Have 'Mad Men' Reunion At Oceana's SeaChange Party
- These Photos of the 'Fantastic Four' Cast Holding Hands in NYC Are Cutest Thing You'll See Today