'The Lady' Trailer: Michelle Yeoh Stars in Luc Besson's Political Drama (Video)
The movie is based on the real story of a Burmese politician held under house arrest.
Director Luc Besson returns to the big screen with The Lady, about the life of Burmese politician Aung San Suu Kyi, who spent about 15 years under house arrest.
Malalysian actress Michelle Yeoh plays the title character, with David Thewlis portraying her husband, Dr. Michael Aris. During production on the drama, Suu Kyi's house arrest had been lifted and in an interview with Time, Yeoh recalled her visit with the woman she plays in her upcoming film. "It was like visiting a family friend," Yeoh said at the time. "She held my hand. I was mesmerized."
Earlier this year, Yeoh was deported from Myanmar because she was on a blacklist.
The trailer is brief, but in a way, powerful. If one had no prior knowledge of Suu Kyi's story, then the 50-second teaser may not be enough to inform the story that inspired the film.
Besson's other film Colombiana, which he wrote and produced, is out in theaters Friday.
Watch the trailer below:
- Greg Scarnici Recreates Iconic Madonna 'Sex' Book As 'Sex In Drag'
- 'Na Maloom Afraad': Revival of Pakistani Cinema in Progress
- Sister Cristina Scuccia, The Singing Nun, Releases 'Like A Virgin' Cover (Without The Naughty Bits)
- Maitland Ward's Sheer Dress Is The Sheerest of All Sheer Dresses And NSFW
- David Alan Basche Tells Us His 5 Favorite Movies Featuring Sitcom Stars
- 'Saturday Night Live' Adds Leslie Jones to Cast
- Best of Late Night TV: Ice Cube Talks N.W.A. Movie, Alan Cumming Recalls Shia's 'Cabaret' Arrest (VIDEO)
- What's Worth Watching This Week: 'Snowpiercer,' 'Life After Beth,' 'Pee-wee's Playhouse'
- Analeigh Tipton & Jake McDorman Make Their Own 'Manhattan Love Story' (Exclusive Video!)
- Matthew McConaughey Wishes the Washington Redskins Wouldn't Change Their Name
- Jennifer Lawrence Introduces Honoree Elizabeth Banks at Elle Women in Hollywood (Video)
- Pregnant Kate Middleton Makes First Offical Appearance Since Suffering from Hyperemesis Gravidarum - See The Pics Here!