'The Lady' Trailer: Michelle Yeoh Stars in Luc Besson's Political Drama (Video)
The movie is based on the real story of a Burmese politician held under house arrest.
Director Luc Besson returns to the big screen with The Lady, about the life of Burmese politician Aung San Suu Kyi, who spent about 15 years under house arrest.
Malalysian actress Michelle Yeoh plays the title character, with David Thewlis portraying her husband, Dr. Michael Aris. During production on the drama, Suu Kyi's house arrest had been lifted and in an interview with Time, Yeoh recalled her visit with the woman she plays in her upcoming film. "It was like visiting a family friend," Yeoh said at the time. "She held my hand. I was mesmerized."
Earlier this year, Yeoh was deported from Myanmar because she was on a blacklist.
The trailer is brief, but in a way, powerful. If one had no prior knowledge of Suu Kyi's story, then the 50-second teaser may not be enough to inform the story that inspired the film.
Besson's other film Colombiana, which he wrote and produced, is out in theaters Friday.
Watch the trailer below:
- 'Family Guy'/'Simpsons' Crossover Episode Sneak Peek Is Pure Bliss
- Sexual Harassment At Comic-Con Leads To Call For New Convention Policy
- A Conversation with CBS This Morning's Anthony Mason, Plus Chase Rice, Gentle Giant's Derek Shulman & William Gage Blanton
- The 'Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part 1' Trailer Is Here To Fight
- Weekend Box Office: Scarlett Johannson's 'Lucy' Beats The Rock's 'Hercules'
- All About That Mind-Blowing 'Avengers: Age of Ultron' Footage From Comic-Con 2014
- 10 Facts About 'Godzilla 2,' 'Crimson Peak,' 'Skull Island,' and More, Straight From Comic-Con 2014
- Everything Revealed About the 'Goosebumps' Movie at Comic-Con 2014
- 'The Flash' Cast Has a Blast at Buzzfeed's Rooftop Flash Bash
- Amanda Seyfried's Boyfriend Justin Long Almost Gets Tusks Sewn Into His Head in 'Tusk' Trailer - Watch Now!
- Naomi Watts Is In Talks to Star in Jake Gyllenhaal's 'Demolition'
- Kesha Gets Picked Up By Boyfriend Brad Ashenfelter at LAX Airport