Madonna's 'W.E.' Trailer Tells the Tale of Two Love Stories (Video)
UPDATED: An official clip hit the web on Nov. 18, after a leaked version was removed mid-October. The 1930s affair between King Edward VIII and American Wallis Simpson is explored, along with a modern-day tryst.
Madonna’s second directorial venture, W.E., is the tale of two love stories. One is the controversial affair between King Edward VIII and American Wallis Simpson in the 1930s. The other is a modern-day story about a married woman who is in love with a Russian security guard. She also seems obsessed with the tale of King Edward VIII and Simpson.
The trailer for W.E., which was acquired by the Weinstein Co., proves that the film is stuffed full with emotional scenes and piano music. Madonna’s film, which premiered at the Venice Film Festival, received with mixed reviews.
“Enamored of surface appearances, the director and cinematographer Hagen Bogdanski make everything look good in an expensive music video sort of way and locations such as the Cote d'Azur , Portofino and assorted royal residences do nothing to detract from the air of wall-to-wall luxury,” wrote The Hollywood Reporter’s Todd McCarthy in his Venice Film Festival review.
The drama, which stars Abbie Cornish, James D'Arcy and Andrea Riseborough, opens in theaters on December 9.
- Rachel McAdams & Taylor Kitsch Officially Confirmed for 'True Detective' Season 2
- Here's Your First Look at Hugh Jackman as Blackbeard in 'Pan' (PHOTOS)
- Oscar Isaac to Play Titular Villain in 'X-Men: Apocalypse'
- 'Star Wars: The Force Awakens' Trailer Will Debut This Week -- But Only in Select Theaters (PHOTO)
- Gwyneth Paltrow Brings Chris Martin & Kids to Goop Store Opening in Dallas!
- Watch Nine Minutes of Daniel Radcliffe's Film 'What If' with This Exclusive Clip!
- Rachel McAdams & Taylor Kitsch Confirmed for 'True Detective' Season 2 - Find Out Who They'll Play!
- Kim Kardashian Is Confident Enough to Eat Cupcakes for 'Elle UK'