Matthew Weiner's (Partly) Student-Made Film
The creator of "Mad Men" made his long-brewing movie "You Are Here" with a little help from University of North Carolina School of the Arts, one of THR's film schools to watch.
USC alum Matthew Weiner went back to school last month, but not as a student. He went to the University of North Carolina School of the Arts in Winston-Salem to make his romantic dramedy You Are Here (starring Owen Wilson, Zach Galifianakis and Amy Poehler) using two of the school's soundstages and some of its considerable talent. "What an amazing place!" says Weiner. "We had a lot of students and recent alumni working on it. A very impressive place."
UNCSA is impressive enough to land on THR's list of the world's most eminent film schools last year. On this year's 25 Top Film Schools list, revealed July 25, an influx of prestigious foreign schools helped bump UNCSA to the lesser yet reputable list of 10 Film Schools to Watch. Here are the other contenders on that list, compiled by THR editors and industry insiders:
An elite, 16-student documentary program with a major new facility opening in 2015.
A solid program with an international focus: About half of junior film students study at Prague's famous FAMU (No. 11 on the Top 25 Film Schools list) and other European schools.
L'Ecole de la Cite
This fall, Luc Besson opens his new film school near Paris. Free tuition and less snooty than France's most celebrated school, La Femis (No. 6 on THR's list).
Ringling College of Art and Design
Werner Herzog and Ed Burns have taught in the Sarasota, Fla. school's digital program.
Columbia College Hollywood
An L.A. school that now collaborates with Beijing Film Academy (No. 3 on the Top 25 list). By 2017, 20 percent of CCH's 350 students could be from BFA.
200 students a year get connected in its L.A. program.
Colorado Film School
The Denver school just received a $100,000 grant for the virtual film-budgeting game tSys, which teaches students business skills crucial to getting films made.
Savannah College of Art and Design
SCAD, the pride of Savannah, Ga., has been a top-10 Student Academy Award winner for seven years, and 40,000 attend the Savannah Film Festival. SCAD's star is rising.
Haiti's only film school, in Jacmel, isn't rich -- except in stories.
- 'Inside Out' And 'Jurassic World' Terminated 'Terminator Genisys' At The Box Office
- The Midnight Swim Redeems Found-Footage Horror: Hour of the Wolf Movie Review
- Kim Kardashian's 4th Of July Outfit Is Some Next Level Patriotism
- Victoria And David Beckham Celebrate 16th Wedding Anniversary On Instagram
- Weekend Box Office: 'Magic Mike XXL' and 'Terminator Genisys' Lose Out to 'Jurassic World'
- 9 Reasons Why 'Independence Day' Is Still Cool As Sh--
- 'Victor Frankenstein' First Photo Shows James McAvoy and Daniel Radcliffe in Peril
- Conan O'Brien Crashed a 'Magic Mike XXL' Girls Night - and It Was Glorious
- Prince George Wears Almost Identical Outfit to Father Prince William When He Was a Baby!
- Gerard Butler Parties on the Beach for Fourth of July With Girlfriend Morgan Brown
- Liam Payne & Girlfriend Sophia Smith Enjoy Disney World & Dinosaurs In Florida
- 'Jurassic World' & 'Inside Out' Beat Out 'Terminator: Genisys' & 'Magic Mike XXL' at Fourth of July Weekend Box Office