Tribeca: Poster for 'McConkey,' Film on Late Extreme Skier, Debuts (Exclusive)
Red Bull Media House's look at the famed freestyle skier, who pioneered the sport before his tragic death, premieres at the Tribeca Film Festival.
Shane McConkey's legacy continues to reach new heights.
The Canadian-born skier helped revolutionize and legitimize extreme sports in the 1990s, bringing fame and great attention to a growing group of mountain athletes that sought to redefine -- and push the boundaries of -- sanity on the slopes. A pioneer of the BASE jumping-skiing hybrid, McConkey's resume was filled with medals, honors and trophies by 2009, when he died -- at just 39 years of age -- while attempting an especially difficult stunt on a mountain in Italy.
His life and impact on sports is examined in a new film from Red Bull Media House, which continues its push into extreme filmmaking. Using footage captured by his own production crew -- one of the great thrills of these ski excursions was capturing video while in mid-flight off a mountain -- and interviews with friends and family, the film looks at how McConkey changed winter sports for good.
The film debuts at the Tribeca Film Festival in New York.
- What's On TV Tonight: 'Dancing With the Stars' Season 19 Premiere, 'American Ninja Warrior,' and More Picks
- Norman Reedus to Publish Book of 'Walking Dead' Fans' Daryl Dixon Art (PHOTOS)
- 'Dancing With the Stars' Winners: Where Are They Now? (PHOTOS)
- Meet Pete Davidson, the Newest 'Saturday Night Live' Featured Player (VIDEO)
- Halle Berry Looks Unrecognizable Wearing Longer Hair Extensions
- Kerry Washington Fights Against Domestic Violence at Purple Purse Programe
- Taylor Schilling & Laura Prepon Bring 'OITNB' to Netflix Launch in Paris!
- Bradley Cooper & Suki Waterhouse Meet Up With Sienna Miller & Tom Sturridge For Dinner!